5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 8:28 AM by zackm

Reporting Interface Availability

jim.couch@loves.com

I must be missing it because it seems like such an obvious report but how can I create a report on interface availability?  Best case would be a 30 day report that reports the availability of two different interfaces I am monitoring, by percentage, for each node.. it would be a bonus if I could show the difference because the two interfaces are primary and secondary interfaces.

Thanks

• Re: Reporting Interface Availability
          zackm

Are you looking for a report that takes the 30-day average availability from 2 interfaces and then subtracts InterfaceB from InterfaceA?

Or are you wanting to see the individual data points for the last month then run some math against them?

The first option would not be too hard, but will really only return something like this:

nodeid  interfaceid  device                                    interface                                                                                  avg_availability            availability_delta

----------- -----------      ---------------------------                  -------------------------------------------------------------                                  -----------------                ------------------

2          505          Router1                                  Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection · Internal Network      100                              0

19        245          Router2                                  Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection · Classroom              100                              0

Returning the delta doesn't really provide too much real data for most people. The VAST majority of your results will typically be 0 or 100, so the deltas would be the same.

However, I have seen several environments where they run a similar report, but exclude any availability = 100; which basically can give you a 'problem interfaces' report.

If you would like some further assistance creating the report, I think I have a basic one lying around somewhere. Just let me know.

-ZackM

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

jim.couch@loves.com

Thanks Zack

You're on the right track.   I have approximately 300 stores with routers that have a primary circuit and a backup circuit.  What we are trying to determine is on a monthly basis, how often is the store on its primary circuit and how often is it on a back up.  The primary is typically on a serial interface and the backup on one of the FA interfaces.  Excluding the ones with 100% availability on the serial interface seems like would be  a good idea.

I got close using the new web reports yesterday.  I wasnt able to do any sort of delta or to weed out the 100% but I did get two columns (One with the serial and one with the ethernet availability).

Jim

zackm

For the 2 interfaces, do they have some sort of identifying feature to key off of?

ie. - where interface description = 'uplink' or all primary are serial0/1 and all secondary are fa1/0?

if not, then you would need to create a custom property for the interfaces and tag them so you can key off of that in the sql query. (really, I would recommend a custom property for this even if you do have an identifying feature elsewhere. Custom properties are gold.)

-ZackM

jim.couch@loves.com

They CAN all be identified by interface ie all the primaries are s0/0/0 and all the redundant are fa0/1 but I agree with you, I would prefer to use custom properties.  However, that bring up another bug that plagues me.  At times, I find that when I add a custom property it doesnt show up in the node or interface details so that I can use it.  I dont want to steer away from this topic and I will write another post about that, but I did want to mention it.

Jim

zackm

So, specifically for custom properties set up for Nodes; you should double check and make sure you have them enabled for use throughout your environment. You can technically limit them down, which can cause what you are seeing. Though I don't know why you would want to (but that's another post).

cp.jpg

However, all other custom property types should be on your tables as soon as you make them. If you are using SQL to check for them, make sure that you have refreshed your DB connection after making schema changes. Without seeing this in front of me, I can't tell you if it is something very simple, or some sort of actual technical problem in your environment. I would suggest poking around a bit, and if it persists to open a ticket with SW.

Please feel free to ask for any more help!

-ZackM