6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 9:25 AM by nanneq

SDK 1.8 Powershell snapin installation problem

lwri

I have used SDK 1.6 earlier.

Now I have updated to 1.8 but I cannot load SWIS snapin.

On PowerShell I get following error when trying to perform Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin:

Add-PSSnapin : Cannot load Windows PowerShell Snap-In swisSnapin because of the following error: The Windows PowerShell Snap-In module C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll does not have required Windows PowerShell Snap-In strong name SwisPowerShell, Version=1.6.54.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.

I also tried to install 1.8 to clean machine which didn't have 1.6, but error there is:

Add-PSSnapin : The Windows PowerShell snap-in 'SwisSnapin' is not installed on this machine.

Documentation says that snapin is automatically registered, but now it seems that that doesn't work.

• Re: SDK 1.8 Powershell snapin installation problem
          tdanner

It should have been registered by the installer, but apparently that didn't happen. You can do it manually as well:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

This registers it twice - once for 32-bit powershell and once for 64-bit powershell.

Edit March 26: Fix incorrect paths to InstallUtil.exe.

• Re: SDK 1.8 Powershell snapin installation problem
            nanneq

Just bumped into this thread - very helpful indeed!

In my case, I've decided to install the SDK on a different path than the default one (D:\Solarwinds...),

and since it's a Windows 2016 Server, the microsoft.NET paths are a bit different.

I thought I should share the relevant paths here and save someone else the hassle in the same situation:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe "<SDK Installed Path>\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe "<SDK Installed Path>\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

* Note that "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework" has all .Net versions - so use the one relevant to you...