This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds Upgrades (Orion, NPM, SAM & NCM)?

Hello all,

I am planning to upgrade our current Solarwinds infrastructure to the latest upgrades however require some assistance.

We currently have the following versions, all of which require the upgrades:

• Orion – Version 2012.1.1
  • NCM – Version 7.1
  • SAM – Version 5.2.0
  • NPM – Version 10.3.1

1. Can someone advise what the best practice is to carry out the upgrades? Is there any specific order they need to be upgraded in?
  2. What is the Solarwinds recommended solution to backup the existing environment prior to the upgrades?
  3. Is the upgrades just a series of dialog boxes (next, next) or is there any further configuration required throughout the upgrades?
  4. Can i lose any data or configuration during the upgrades?
  5. If i wanted to virtualize the whole of Solarwinds what are the prerequisites? Any major disadvantages?

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gag

• I'm not 100% sure if you can upgrade straight from those versions to the latest, BUT here are my general thoughts on upgrades:

The Order

1. NPM. This will also take care of "Orion" (which is really just a statement of the core software you have, either as a function of NPM or SAM)
      1. Also, if you have additional pollers or additional web servers, you want to upgrade the primary, then the additionals
    2. SAM
    3. NCM

Concerns about loss

Generally speaking, no. You will only lose the data you aren't collecting DURING the upgrades (ie: when the software is offline because it's being actively upgraded). Otherwise all your old metrics should be just fine.

The upgrade will re-install your website, so if you've done any crazy customizations to the logo, login page, CSS files, etc (not that *I* would know anything about that - cough, cough) you will lose that.

Backups

Here is every freaky backup you might want to do. I'm not saying you DO have to do it, but here's what you might want:

• The database itself - do an MS-SQL snapshot, or export the database, or however you (or your DBA's) do it. But you should be backing up your database regularly anyway.
      • You *are* backing up your database regulary, right?
      • Right?!?
      • I mean.... come on.
    • You should ALSO be backing up your solarwinds server. But here's a list of the SPECIFIC things you should back up.
    • C:\program files(x86)\solarwinds\orion\reports (assuming you have custom reports)
    • Within the Manage Templates area of SAM on the SolarWinds portal, export all of your custom templates. Then backup the resulting .zip file.
    • Within the Advanced Alerts utility on the primary poller, you should export any of your custom alerts to a .OrionAlert file. Then back those up.
    • WIthin the Universal Device Poller utility on the primary poller, export all of your custom UnDP monitors to a file. Then back that up

Note, that list above is for the most paranoid, most cynical, most dis-trustful person. Generally speaking, the upgrade should have no impact.

Of course, generally speaking, you shouldn't need monitoring because most applications and system are designed to stay up and run smoothly.

• Hi Leon,

Thanks for the helpful advice.  It's been about 3 years since I've set up Orion out of the box and I doing it again for a new organization!  I remember an installation order that was recommended for fresh installs.  Is there a published order?  I searched twack, but couldn't find a definitive source.

I will be installing the following Orion modules:

- Orion NPM

- Orion NetFlow

- Orion NCM

- Orion UDT

- Orion LEM (different box)

Thank You!

Matthew

• SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Compatibility of SolarWinds Orion Products for Installation and Upgrade

Between NPM and SAM there may be some version jumping you may have to do.  NPM can go straight to the latest from 10.3x as I did that the other day for a client.

Sohail Bhamani

Solarwinds Training and Professional Services

LinkedIN: Loop1 Systems

Facebook: Loop1 Systems

Twitter: @loop1systems

• adatole‌ I'm assuming that upgrading from NPM 11 and SAM 6.1 to NPM 11.5 and SAM 6.2 is the same process but my question is with my additional poller, should I upgrade it after NPM 11.5 is installed and then again after SAM 6.2 is installed or should I just run the upgrade on the poller once after both products have been installed on the primary server?

I'm planning on upgrading both products on the same day so there wouldn't but a long period of time in between.

• My habit has always been to upgrade the primary poller completely, and THEN upgrade my additional pollers and then do the additional web server last of all. It puts the bulk of the database changes at the front end of your upgrade process, and the pollers become more of a mindless update than anything else.