This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Dynamic alert thresholds in 10.7

I have some questions about how the new dynamic alert threshold function works for nodes and interfaces.

It looks like:

1. Dynamic thresholds for nodes are calculated at the time the button is clicked on the Edit Node page and are based on the data collected for the number of days set for the Baseline Data Collection Duration. These thresholds are not calculated again unless the button is clicked again manually.

2. For interfaces, does Orion update the dynamic thresholds based on the Interface Baseline Calculation Frequency AND use the setting for the Baseline Data Collection Duration to determine how much data to use to perform the calculation?

Another way to ask the question... are Node dynamic thresholds updated manually, while interface thresholds updated automatically with a "rolling" calculation?

Thanks.

• By default we recalculate all core/NPM thresholds every 7 days- so a "rolling window." This is defined under polling settings:

3-6-2014 6-34-46 PM.png

• So, Rob let me see if I have this straight.

For nodes, the Baseline Data Collection Duration applies a rolling threshold calculation for any node for which the "Use Dynamic Baseline Thresholds" button has been pushed. Is that accurate?

For interfaces, is it only the Interface Baseline Collection Frequency setting that controls how thresholds are applied for interfaces? Or, does the Baseline Data Collection Duration also figure into it?

And finally, are the following statements true related to the options available for setting alert thresholds for nodes and interfaces?

Option 1: Use the global thresholds listed on the Orion Thresholds and NPM Thresholds pages

Option 2: Click the Override Orion General Thresholds and set a STATIC value for the threshold.

Option 3: Click the Override Orion General Thresholds AND use click the Use Dynamic Baseline Thresholds button to employ "rolling thresholds"

Thanks.

• 1. Yes- if you have selected the Use Dynamic baseline for either Warning or Critical thresholds a rolling threshold calculation is used

2. Duration is how large the rolling window used for calculation is. Frequency is how often we recalculate.

Options 1-3 are all correct.

• Thanks Rob. So, just to be sure... the Baseline Data Collection Duration applies only to Nodes, correct?

• Interfaces as well, so we would want to make sure the overall statistics retention period is greater than the calculation duration.

• Wait a minute I just realized something. The Frequency indicates that it applies to Interfaces. Why would one look at that and conclude that it also applies to the frequency with which Node baselines are calculated?

One other questions about the Polling Settings page while I am on the subject....what kinds of data are included in the Detailed, Hourly and Daily Statistics Retention settings? NPM specifically provides separate retention settings for Interface, UnDP and wireless data, so what do those retentions apply to?

Thanks.

• Apologies for the delay, was out at Cisco Live ANZ last week. Good catch, that label is incorrect and actually applies to both node and interface calculation. The additional retention settings are for node statistics (availability / response time / etc.)

• Thanks for sticking with me on this Rob. You must admit that keeping documentation updated and accurate is not a strength of SolarWinds. emoticons_happy.png

So, are my notes in the following screenshot accurate?

stats pic.jpg

• That is correct sir- thank you! I will pass this to our doc team to update.