This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Role Based Access in NPM & SAM

Hello ...

I want to create role based access to users, so basically need on group with only capabilities to do discovery only no other management capabilities, how can I achieve this ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Granular access restrictions like you are wanting to do is not possible at this time. There was a feature request somewhere to have more options in creating restrictions for users to do certain tasks.

• Are you referring to node discovery or application discovery? Application discovery is already a granular permission granted by the SAM Admin user role. Node discovery is a function of the Node Management permission.

• mphalak,

To restrict rights to only a scan based role is not possible depending on what type of scan you are referring to.  For a nodes scan salanting is correct that is part of the Node Management and Admin roles.  If you are referring to NCM and IPAM you can select the proper role for those and apply it to a AD you add into SolarWinds.  Hope this helps.  you can absolutely vote the feature up so they can see more interest.

Hope that helps,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com

• Hello...

So we have two groups IT Infra team and IT support so I want to give admin role to IT Infr and just ability to discover nodes to IT support is possible to get this granular ?

• So we have two groups IT Infra team and IT support so I want to give admin role to IT Infr and just ability to discover nodes to IT support is possible to get this granular ?

• mphalak,

You can give the one group the admin role and not the other.  There is not right management for only scans but the scan feature is part of the admin role.  So you could give the IT Infr the Admin role and not the other group.  The other option is if you know who in the IT Support role is supposed to have the scan right you could give them admin only as a single user.  The ability to delete and modify nodes is a separate right which is call Node Management.  Sorry it is not exactly the answer you are looking for but hoe it help.

Regards,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com

• Thanks Adam. So like you mentioned can I give a user fro IT Support Admin role but not access to Node Management I believe thats part for admin role right

• mphalak,

You can give them admin access, however once you have, they can give themselves what ever rights they want including node management.  The admin role gives them access to all the settings for the main orion  page as well as any subsequent products you own.  Be very carful who you give Admin to.  So the person with this role should be a lead or trusted individual.  Keep in mind any actions they make are recorded as a audit events.  This means you can track what changes they make such as un-managing a node, deleting an interface , etc.

Regards,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com