3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 11:09 AM by Lawrence Garvin

Is an .mst file needed?  If so, how to create it?

Richard Roati

I have been given a package that is being requested to be deployed.  In my past deployments I was given an .mst file by the developer.  This package has no .mst file.  When run manually, the package runs all the way to the Finish prompt without any additional prompting.  Here are the files I have been given:

0x409.ini

Data1.cab

instmsia.exe

instmsiw.exe

ReportViewer.msi

setup.exe

Setup.ini

In the package deployment wizard, it says that no transforms (.mst) file is necessary if an msi file is present.  Is this a true statement?

If not, how do I go about building an mst file for the package?

I have verified the prerequisite rules, applicability rules, and installed rules criteria based on my past successes.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Richard

• Re: Is an .mst file needed?  If so, how to create it?
          Lawrence Garvin
          In the package deployment wizard, it says that no transforms (.mst) file is necessary if an msi file is present.  Is this a true statement?

Yes. The MST file is an optional file used to transform (or customize) the default installation provided in the MSI file.

Frankly I'm somewhat intrigued that a developer would ever provide an MSI -and- MST file .... the logical process here is to simply configure the options in the MSI file to begin with.

You can find more information about the Windows Installer Service and MSI/MSP/MST files in the Microsoft MSDN library.

Richard Roati

Thanks for letting me know that the .mst file is optional.

When you run the .msi file manually, the install proceeds until there is a Finish button.

The developer is not being responsive in our requests to create a fully silent package.

In this type of case, will an .mst file potentially be needed?

I clicked on your link above, but it did not answer the question below:

If an .mst file is needed in this case, could you provide some examples of a manually written .mst file that might work that I can try out?

Or will I have to go back to the non-responsive developer?

Thank you!

Lawrence Garvin
                  The developer is not being responsive in our requests to create a fully silent package.

My misunderstanding; I thought this developer was in-house.

In this type of case, will an .mst file potentially be needed?

Well, that depends. Do you need to customize any of the options in the default installation?

I clicked on your link above, but it did not answer the question below:

If an .mst file is needed in this case, could you provide some examples of a manually written .mst file that might work that I can try out?

Or will I have to go back to the non-responsive developer?

Really. Hmmm.

Try this: A Customization Transform Example (Windows)

But, generally speaking, the specific options that could go into an MST file are something that would be defined (and presumably documented) by the software developer.