This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How does Advanced Alert Manager handle the Last Boot has changed condition?

Working on an alert that uses Last Boot has changed and I started wondering, how does Orion know if the last boot time had changed and how does it know that this is no longer a problem? Testing an alert where our polling interval for stats is 5 minutes but alert checking is every 2 minutes and we are not getting an alert for this. Anyone have information on this? Does our checking interval need to match the stat collection interval so that it won't check too often and cause the alert to not fire?

• Dkeyser,

The way this is handled is based on SNMP/ WMI polling values.  This is a value that pc uses to indicate uptime since last boot.  Most of the timme I will use this function as a Last Boot has changed to indicate that the machine rebooted rather than went just went down and up again.  You can apply a threshold of time to it, but most users do not need much more that just to know whne the machine rebooted.  The standard 2 min uptime polling does not factor into this value.  You do not need to change any polling setting unless you want to increase how often SolarWinds will poll for WMI and SNMP.  Keep in mind if you change these settings it change how SolarWinds calculate averages and it also puts more strain on your infrustructure. 

Hope that helps,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com

• Thanks Adam. The thing I'd like to know is how does Orion know when to turn the alert off. If I have an alert that is only set to trigger when last boot has changed is true, will this alert never reset? If it does then how is Orion figuring out when to turn this alert off if the reset condition is default to when the trigger condition is no longer true?

The reason I'm wondering this is because I've seen reset events but did not get any reset emails sent out. That has got me curious as to why and how.

• Dkeyser,

When SW produces this alert the computer generating it clears the flag automatically.  So SolarWinds should not stay in a triggered state for the condition longer than one polling period.  With that said I do not see a need for a reset email for a reboot.  The notification is good to know that a reboot occurred, but a reset email is not needed.  Hope that helps.

Regards,

Hope that helps,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com

• That's the problem we were seeing though. The trigger email will not fire even after Orion logs that the device last boot time has changed. The polling should not be a problem since the alert is checked for every 2 minutes and the polling is every 5 giving it at most 2.5 checks per polling period. This by all means should be working but it's not so that's why I'm targeting how Orion handles the polling interval along with the lastboot has changed flag. Any other information on how this should be working will be beneficial as this in my eyes should be working and I'd like to know what I'm missing.

• Dkeyser,

Is it possible to send a screen shot of you alert so I can see what your looking at?

Regards,

Hope that helps,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com

• id11_2_Trigger.jpg

Events.png

Here are the trigger setup and the events that we are looking at. These events occur and there is nothing being sent out as an email. Even using just last boot has changed by itself is not working at this point. I'd rather not use an advanced sql alert to replace the functionality that should be provided by this trigger value.

• dkeyser,

I assume you configured a email trigger action and it is not sending and email.

Regards,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com

• dkeyser,

Also if you could send me a screenshot of the reset condition and your trigger actions tab that would be great.

Thanks,

Adam Stephen

Loop 1 Systems

Remote Engineer Level 2

www.loop1systems.com