This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

UDT and Device Types

I AM SURE WE'VE ALL DEALT WITH THIS FROM TIME TO TIME....

PC's were getting re-imaged this week at one of our facilities.  A few PC's were receiving 192.168.X.X IP's.    What I found was that this facility had two Planet Network routers (who?  Yes Planet Networks) that were connected to two different switches.   Once I found them, it was easy to remove... just shut the port down and see who called in to complain .

Here's my question:

We all know that the first 6 of a MAC determines the manufacture.  Would it make sense to have some sort of MAC Lookup database within UDT?  Maybe something on the summary page that shows a count of each manufacture/device type that are connected to all switch ports? Would that be too much?

I guess I could create a white list, but that is similar to a NAC solution without the blocking part. With 25+ thousand devices that could get old real quick.

If I could create a white list based off of device types now that would be easier.

I know one problem would be that not all MAC address lookups are straight forward.  Sometimes,  MAC lookups do not return the manufacture that you would think.