This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrading from 5.3.3 to 5.6.2

We are planning on doing a STM upgrade this week and I had a few questions regarding the process.  The Admin guide just says to run the installer and it will run the upgrade.  Do I need to stop any services or does the installer do it automatically?  Regarding the agents, is the recommended option to go through the STM console and upgrade all of the agents or is it better to do them 1 by 1 from the agent servers?

• Hi bharris,

No, you do not need to stop any services, the installer will handle that for you. In general, we do recommend that you make a backup of your database in case anything goes wrong.

One caveat for the 5.3.3 to 5.6.2 upgrade: The installer will not let you proceed with the v5 key applied. For reasons I won't go into here, 5.6 and beyond use a higher version key. So before you run your upgrade, go to your Customer Portal, get your new key, deactivate your existing key on STM, run the upgrade and then apply your new key. This will not be the case for future upgrades, it was a onetime change for 5.6.

Regarding agent upgrades:

As of 5.6.2, the installer makes backup copies of any agent configuration XML files. These backups are not made via the "Server Push" method in 5.6.2 (but we are implementing it for a future release). Other than that, customers run their upgrades both ways, so it's really up to you.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks for the tips.  The upgrade is running now and on the "Configuring Storage Manager Database" step right now,  It has been running for about 1.5 hrs so far.  The database folder I backed up was about 30GB.  Is there any estimate how long this database part of the upgrade will take?

• Hi bharris,

For a database that size, an upgrade can take anywhere from ~1-8 hours. The primary factor is how fragmented the database is and we've seen it vary greatly from customer to customer because of this. Sorry I can't be more specific.

• Thanks!  Is this "Configuring Storage Manager Database" step that is currently running the longest one of the upgrade process?

• Yes, it should be. It does a table by table copy (backup) and MYISAMCHK before upgrading the tables to the new schema which is a lot of overhead.

• I know its been about a month since my last reply, but I just wanted to let you know everything was successful with the upgrade.

Thanks again for your help Balki 1429