Member of the Broadcast Network Engineering team, which oversees the engineering of Discovery Communication's domestic broadcast post-production and digital media infrastructure. This position is specific to network and monitoring engineering support of file-based media management, production, and transfers.
1. Manage support of Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switch and router infrastructure.
2. Identify, analyze, and resolve network and protocol related issues.
3. Configure access interfaces, vlan tagging, and port-channels and coordinate testing with server engineering.
4. Implement configuration changes using appropriate change management and configuration management processes.
5. Proactively monitor and maintain switch logs, compliance, security, and health status reporting.
6. Effectively prioritize and quickly resolve requests submitted from operations or engineering.
7. Maintain and generate network datacenter maps, cable pull-lists, and documentation.
8. Review incoming network alarms, traps and syslog information, triage, and resolve within the SLA.
9. Understand alert logic design and investigate issues with alarm triggers and metric thresholds.
10. Candidate must be willing to accept responsibilities outside server engineering as needed.
* 5 or more years network administration experience in an IT server support role. Cisco CCENT or CCNA strongly preferred but not required.
* Education – Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration or related field or equivalent experience.
* Strong problem solving, client interface, verbal, and written communication skills. Administrative, prioritization, organizational, and customer service skills.
* Detailed understanding of the following technologies: TCP/IP, OSPF, Spanning-Tree, HSRP, SPAN, LACP, SNMP, SYSLOG, ICMP, WMI
* Experience supporting Cisco IOS and/or Nexus network connectivity, administration, and monitoring. Solarwinds Orion experience preferred.
* Experience with some or all of the following technologies are desired but not required: Cisco UCS or HP Blade server networking, VMWare or Hyper-V virtual switching, SQL query building, Splunk, custom MIB pollers, and Wireshark.
* Candidate should have strong communication skills and be able to clearly and ably articulate a technical vision to both technical and non-technical audiences.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States