8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 3:58 PM by RichardLetts

How are you using additional pollers?

rob.hock

As we're constantly looking for opportunities to respond to the needs of our customers, one area we have been investigating recently is the Additional Poller and how they are being used.

Presently SolarWinds offers additional pollers to help scale SLX installations and site-spanning. What if we also offered additional pollers for smaller tiers, or for remote offices with a smaller footprint? We're interested to hear what you think!

If you have 2 minutes- we have a (only) 10 question survey that would help us greatly.

SolarWinds - Additional Pollers Survey

• Re: How are you using additional pollers?
          byrona

We could absolutely use this capability.  I took the survey and provided as much feedback as possible.  For this to work for us we would need it to support both NPM and SAM.  Also I would like to see a limited number of ports needed to communicate back to the master.  Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in more feedback and thanks for looking into this!

planglois

That would be awesome. We could use that for our MSP side of the business, and to help data collection in another dispersed network. Way to go

scvvuuren

Hi Rob

I like this idea.

We currently have 10 Campus Networks with each separated into about 10 - 20 sites. There is another bunch of smaller remote sites also.

I work for a mining company and a lot of our systems is separated with Private VLAN's from the Enterprise network to protect systems that could cause potential harm to people and production loss to the company.

This however makes it very difficult to monitor without fancy IPSEC tunnels etc which we do not want to do anyways, we had a look at APE's but deploying 100x APE does not make financial sense if you do not monitor 10 000 elements per instance. If a remote smaller server could be deployed that caters for 100-500 elements it would be great as the remote server could be connected to the Private VLAN's for monitoring purposes. This would also assist greatly with more accurate availability statistics.

sja

Hi Rob

I think solarwinds need to work on

1.cheaper (linux?) poller (mini sl100?) for  those who has a lot of site without away manage them in the same magnet net.

2.carrier grade poller "SLX-C" to big boys that will love  consolidated 3-4 poller in 1 "SLX-C" poller.

3."old custemers" the should have the right to reaplace the poller or NOT.

/SJA

stuartwhyte

Hi Rob,

Survey completed.  Some additional notes.

1.  I'm loving the idea of a "mini-poller" for a small remote office that has less than 10 devices (a couple of routers, a firewall and a switch perhaps?).

2.  I think the element count should depend on the "main" license purchased.  IE if I have an SL2000, that's for 2000 elements, which can be deployed against any number of additional pollers, so 1 poller of 2000, or 2 pollers of 1000 each, or 4 pollers of 500 each, or a combination of those.

Feel free to get in touch for a more detailed discussion.

Stuart

phillipmanning

Rob,

At a previous site, we placed an additional poller in the DMZ. That way, we only had to open the firewall for the monitoring traffic to/from the poller instead of opening more ports to all/each of the nodes in the DMZ.

Somewhat following comments from byrona and stuartwhyte, provide licensing for a small additional poller, but be able to increase to 250-300 elements at a small incremental cost.

RichardLetts

Apart from the scaleability issue I am making use of additonal pollers to support VRFs -- this allows me to have a node with the same IP address and a different community string on a different polling engine. This allows UDT to collect the ARP tables from the most commonly used VRFs.

This is totally a hack because of lack of VRF support in UDT.