This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Extra line-spacing in tickets when sent from email

Whenever anyone, from multiple email clients, sends an email to the system to create a ticket or add a note, I'm seeing a whole bunch of extra line spaces.  For example, if someone sends an email like this:

___

Blah blah blah, hitting enter for a new line.

This is a new line.  Hitting enter twice now for a single line space.

Here we are with one line space.

---

Now in the ticket note or request, I see this:

___

Blah blah blah, hitting enter for a new line.

This is a new line.  Hitting enter twice now for a single line space.

Here we are with one line space.

---

I'm running WHD 12.0.1 Virtual Appliance.  This happens when sending from at least Outlook 2010, Outlook 2011 for Mac, Outlook WebApp (2010 web access) and NitroDesk Touchdown (android). 

Is there a way to stop all these extra line breaks from being inserted?

• We had a similar issue when we migrated our mail system to Office 365 we had to change the account default from IMAP to Exchange in the setup for email and this resolved the problem for us.

• Hmm, I haven't been able to get Exchange to work.  I'm just one site of a large company so I have no control over the Exchange servers.  I think my main issue is that WHD is hard coded to look for http(s)://<your_exchange_server>/ews/Exchange.asmx, whereas my webmail uses /owa/ instead of /ews/ in the path, even though it is Exchange 2010. 

Anyway, regardless if it works better in Exchange, it's still needs to be fixed for IMAP.

• You are correct that webmail uses /owa/ for web access. However, /ews/Exchange.asmx is actually a SOAP API address. If you go to this address on your Exchange server, you should be prompted for a username and password. Enter that, and you will get a Services.wsdl that describes all the supported SOAP requests. We have Exchange 2010, but still use POP to receive the helpdesk messages. I've had far fewer troubles using POP, even with other help desk products.

• Hmm, thanks for clearing that up.  I can get to https://myexchangeserver.com/ews/Services.wsdl in a browser, however if I enter myexchangeserver.com in WHD I get:

can't connect to: myexchangeserver.com

The helpdesk was unable to establish a connection with the Exchange Server 'myexchangeserver.com'. See FAQ for the most common resolution.

I don't think the exchange admins have enabled POP access so I may be stuck with IMAP.  I opened a support ticket with Solarwinds and so far we've established that all these extra lines only happen with HTML or Rich Text, and not with plain text.  But again, more of a workaround than a solution.

• I opened a support ticket for this and eventually the word from a developer is that it will be addressed in a future release.

• I can confirm this. Today I changed the setup from IMAP to Exchange, and my extra line feeds are deleted!

Thanks, John