10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 2:28 AM by ssaraswat

Advanced Alerts : manage groups

ssaraswat

Let me clear my scenario more briefly.

Let us suppose if parent went down .. for example Firewall. In that case what will happen, we will get bunch of emails showing that firewall is down, and other alerts will speak of devices went unreachable. The emails will be as many as the child notes went unreachable.

Can I get a way out of these bunch of emails. Instead of getting alerts separately, can that be classified in single email, mentioning device is down and these child notes become unreachable. Thats all. Dependencies and groups are already built on.

• Re: Advanced Alerts : manage groups
          rob.hock

The "Digest" email is something we are looking at for the future. You could hardcode the message body at present, but that can be a pain to manage at scale. There may be some fancy SQL we can look at as well.

ssaraswat

Actually, we are going to implement one change recently, I do not want our mailbox flood of 400 emails. So thats the reason I was looking for that.

So there is no way out ?

ET

In case you want to rid off those 400 emails about node is unreachable. You can turn your alert to react only in case Node went Down and back, right? With this you will receive only 1 alert that parent is down. And unreachable status will regular one and not very interested for you.

Summary email or macro which can tell you which nodes are unreachable because this node is down ... this isn't possible so far.

ssaraswat

ET

Turning alert to react only in case Node went Down and back: doesn't it harm my basic monitoring for child nodes.

Summary email or macro which can tell you which nodes are unreachable because this node is down ... this is not possible right ?

ET

No sure how looks your alert condition so I can't tell. But suppress alerts for unreachable status is ordinary operation. That's actually reason why we have unreachable status and possibility to define dependencies. That you are not bothered by alerts which are just consequences of events on parent node.

"Summary email or macro which can tell you which nodes are unreachable because this node is down ... this is not possible right ?"

- no it's not possible - but you can place into your alert message link to "web view" which will show you all dependent nodes.

bluefunelemental

long day so maybe I'm misreading your question but it seems to be inline with my direction. I don't want alarms on unreachable status nodes so I have implemented depencies for firewall interfaces(I found out if I used the firewall nodes then interfaces could still go down and the dependency would not kick in) and have also looked at alerting on group status or overall health status of a node or application rather then individual nodes or components. It's really dependent on what level you need alerting - I prefer one overall status alert and to list all down components in the alert message.