This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need a report that will generate all patches installed during a patch period

I have created the attached report however I am only able to choose from Release or arrival date. I am currently using arrival date but encountered an issue using this category in this month’s reports. A user installed Office 2010 which required 50 security patches to be installed. Since these security patches came out months ago, they are not showing in this report. For Federal regulations purposed, we are required to produce a monthly report that shows all patches installed on each server on a monthly basis. This report does not produce the required information.

Patch Manager.png

Patch Manager II.png

All systems with approved update status details for a specific date range.xdq
  • we are required to produce a monthly report that shows all patches installed on each server on a monthly basis.

A fundamental, and unfortunate, limitation in the Microsoft WSUS infrastructure is that the WSUS server does not permanently record Installation Date for updates, only the fact that they are installed as of the most recent client detection cycle.

You can obtain Installation Date from the Windows Update History, but this methodology is complicated in the data retrieval and data filtering because the Windows Update History also contains data for all failed installations, as well as installations of superseded updates. The former is fairly simple to filter, but the latter is very difficult to filter. You can get a list of "updates installed in the last 30 days", but no way to identify that any of those updates are currently installed on that system.

If you are deploying updates using Patch Manager, you can develop a report based on the Update Management Task History. For an Update Management task, the Task History Details does record the actual time of installation of the update. Task History is retained for 60 days (by default), and you can configure how long Task History is retained, should you need to report over longer periods of time.