6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 4:29 PM by designerfx

Looking to edit Implicit dependencies

ssaraswat

Hi,

I am also looking for similar situation in my network.

If parent device went down, then all the devices connected to it will showed up as unreachable. With that my mailbox got full of emails.

So is there any way out for it. What I want is if particular device went down and the devices which went unreachable should come in a Single Email ?

Above all I do not want my general monitoring to get disturbed. If particular device went then there should be email for it in my mailbox.

Any Suggestions....

• Re: Looking to edit Implicit dependencies
            designerfx

rob.hock's  link is spot on and should help here. You'll need to go to $servername/Orion/Admin/DependenciesView.aspx

To highlight some really basic concepts of what happens, you can: assign a node, interface or group to be the parent dependency and do likewise for the child which is dependent on the parent. So you can stack dependencies however is necessary, to account for redundancy as applicable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ssaraswat

Hi Rob,

Very thanks for your response.

I had gone through that link. But that specified information we had already implemented.

Let me clear my scenario more briefly.

Let us suppose if parent went down .. for example Firewall. In that case what will happen, we will get bunch of emails showing that firewall is down, and other alerts will speak of devices went unreachable. The emails will be as many as the child notes went unreachable.

Can I get a way out of these bunch of emails. Instead of getting alerts separately, can that be classified in single email, mentioning device is down and these child notes become unreachable. Thats all. Dependencies and groups are already built off.

designerfx

Hi ssaraswat , that is exactly what I said and what rob.hock's link provides.

In the dependencies, what you want is (per your example):

Firewall (parent dependency) -> child dependency group

What this means is that as soon as the firewall is shown as down any nodes in the group will then be unmanaged, which will suppress alerts. If some nodes are unresponsive before the firewall you may get an alert from it but it's fairly unlikely.

ssaraswat

Were these alerts will be completely suppressed . So the procedure to edit these decencies will be same right.. the steps and all.

Any words, before I raise the change ?

1. Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Orion Web Console.
                      2. Click Settings in the top right of the web console.
                      3. Click Manage Dependencies in the Node & Group Management grouping of the Orion Website Administration page.
                      4. Click Add new dependency.
                      5. On the Select Parent page of the Add New Dependency wizard, complete the following steps:
                        1. Use the Show only: and Group by: selection fields to customize the list of displayed objects and groups.
                          Note: The properties listed in the Group by selection field are dynamic.
                        2. Select the parent object or group in the main pane, and then click Next.

[Note: If you want to define a dependency so that the reported states of child objects are dependent on the status of multiple parent objects, create a group including all parent objects, and then select it on this view. For more information, see “Creating Groups” in the SolarWinds Orion Common Components Administrator Guide.] that i dont need.

1. On the Choose Child page of the Add New Dependency wizard, complete the following steps:
                        1. Edit the Dependency name, as appropriate.
                        2. Use the Show only: and Group by: selection fields to customize the list of displayed objects and groups.
                          Note: Properties listed in the Group by: selection field are dynamically dependent on the selection in the Show only: field.
                        3. Select the child object or group in the main pane, and then click Next.
                          Note: If you want to define a dependency so that the reported states of multiple child objects are dependent on the status one or more parent  objects, create a group including all child objects, and then select it on this view. For more information, see “Creating Groups” in the SolarWinds Orion Common Components Administrator Guide.}
                      2. On the Review Dependency view, review the current settings for the configured dependency.
                        Notes:
                        • If any advanced alerts are configured on parent or child objects, they will be listed on this view. Click + to expand alert details.
                        • In the event that a parent object is down, all alerts configured on any child objects in a dependency on the down parent object are automatically suppressed.
                      3. Click Submit to accept the dependency definition.