This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is there a way to enable Asset Inventory en masse?

FormerMember
FormerMember

I'm finding many of our servers do not have Asset Inventory enabled.  Is there a way through the web console or SQL script to enable Asset Inventory en masse?

• You can run a one-time Network Sonar discovery against your existing nodes to "re-import" them. This will not effect anything currently monitored, but Asset Inventory will be enabled on all hosts it's applicable to during the import process.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to aLTeReGo

Thanks alterego.  We have 3 polling engines and Network Sonar Discovery jobs are executed per poller. In order to do this it seems I have to run 3 discoveries for the nodes on each engine or I will end up with duplicates on the one poller when the import is done?  Is this correct?

• FormerMember

aLTeReGo,

I tried the Network Sonar Discovery method you suggested with existing nodes on one poller.  When I do the import, all nodes kick out with 'Node xxxxxxxxx, Import Status: skipped, already exists in Orion DB.'.  The Asset Inventory is not updated/enabled for any node.  Am I doing something wrong?

• FormerMember

I figured out why I'm was not seeing Asset Inventory on all nodes.  This is a SAM feature (which we have) and only works with servers from what I gather, not Cisco devices.  I was looking for it to be enabled on Cisco devices.  I checked some of the servers that did not have Asset Inventory enabled prior to discovery and then after discovery, Asset Inventory now enabled.

Thanks aLTeReGo!

• Is this still a feature that is supported and working in NPM 11.5.2 and SAM 6.2.1?

I have done two individual tests with attempts to add asset inventory to nodes that already exist in the DB and they do not appear to be taking properly.  After importing then checking AssetInventory_Polling they do not appear.  But If I go into each node individually and "List Resources" I am able to select it that way.

What is the trick?

• Asset Inventory is a function of Server & Application Monitor, and is not included with NPM. Have you tried clicking "List Resources" on a server, such as Windows, Linux, AIX? Do you see an option to select Asset Inventory?

Inventory List Resource.png

• Yes, on the nodes I have tested this with that option is available when "Listing Resources" however when I do an import on those nodes they do not get Asset Inventory added.

• I would suggest doing a test. Take an existing node that does NOT have asset inventory enabled, but verify Asset Inventory is supported on the device by looking at List Resource for that node and ensuring Asset Inventory is listed as an available option. Next, create a new manual discovery in Network Sonar for just this one node and run the discovery manually, importing the results. Next run "List Resources" on the same node and see if Asset Inventory is selected. If it is not, please open a case with support so we can determine what the issue is, since this should work as described above.

• I figured out what is happening here.  In my scenario I have a list of IP's that span nodes that are on multiple polling engines.  When I do the sonar discovery on those IP's and validate then import it doesn't add asset inventory because I selected a polling engine that those nodes do not reside on.

The trick is that you must select the polling engine that those nodes reside on in order for the Asset Inventory to work, otherwise it won't.