2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 1:53 PM by choly

Time difference message in NTA traffic analyzer events

craig16229

I am receiving the following message in our NTA traffic analyzer events:

"Time on NetFlow Receiver Service [Our_Solar_Server] is: 1/30/2014 7:06:27 AM. DB server time is: 1/30/2014 7:06:27 AM. The difference is: 0.1s. Which is under warning threshold."

The message just previous to this was:

"Time on NetFlow Receiver Service [AHACHI-SOLAR01] is: 1/30/2014 7:05:27 AM. DB server time is: 1/30/2014 7:00:26 AM. The difference is: 300.7s. Which is above critical threshold. The data won't be correct. Synchronize the clocks and restart the service."

These two message alternate, and occur every 4 to 6 hours.

I am fairly new to Solarwinds products, so I have not had any luck resolving this on my own or finding any similar threads about this message.  All our Solar apps and our Solar database are on one server, so I'm not even certain what this message means.

Thanks,

Craíg

• Re: Time difference message in NTA traffic analyzer events
          craig16229

Just after I posted this question earlier today, I disabled time syncing of my Solar vm server with its vSphere host, then re-synced the time of my Solar vm server with my domain servers and domain time.  Since then the error has not recurred.  I'm still not clear on why the message suggests a DB time difference when the SQL DB and the NetFlow receiver service are on the same server.  I would still like to understand that.

Craíg

• Re: Time difference message in NTA traffic analyzer events
              choly

The event is trying to aware you that time difference between SQL server and NetFlow service may lead to incorrectly saved data. It is mostly intended for multiple servers configurations (remote SQL server, additional netflow receiver, etc.). In your case it seems to be just timing issue like following: Netflow service asks SQL server and system for time -> vm syncs time of machine -> SQL server replies with time after sync -> times doesn't match so event is generated. You can disregard those events.