6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2018 9:08 AM by wacado

Unable to connect to Azure SQL for Orion Database

network.services@demb.com

Hi,

We are setting up a fresh Orion installation in Microsoft Azure. We also have provisioned a Microsoft SQL database with all the strings but are unable to connect.

The following connection string was provided but does not work from the Solarwinds Setup Wizard.

Driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0};Server=tcp:tze6vf9mq1.database.windows.net,1433;Database=solarwinds_db;Uid={username}@tze6vf9mq1;Pwd={password};Encrypt=yes;Connection Timeout=30;

Did anyone encounter similar issues?  and/or provide the correct string to use in the Wizard?

KR. Gilles

• Re: Unable to connect to Azure SQL for Orion Database
          mharvey

Are you able to connect between the servers?  Are both in the same virtual network within Azure>

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

pchiem

I have the same issue.  Both VM and azure sql are on the same network.  I was able to connect to azure sql from azure vm using powershell for testing.  There is no error from the configuration wizard.

wacado

Same issue for me using a new install, but using the Configuration Wizard, which appears to do nothing, but it actually is doing something. If I watch resource monitor when I click Next, I see activity to the AzureSQL proxy. I've also noticed if I intentionally use the wrong account name or password (using SQL Authentication) it errors immediately.

I'm using the following (but have tried many variations)

Scenario: New Azure VM and new Azure SQL Database/Server

SQL Server:    <server.name>.database.windows.net

...I've tried adding the SQL database name to the end too, but pretty sure that field is supposed to just be the SQL server name. Documentation just shows an IP as an example, which doesn't help much for getting the format right. Ex. <server name>.database.windows.net/<sql.database.name>

Switch User:

Login: <sql user> (db_owner)

Password: ********

I have a ticket open since this morning...hopefully I'll hear back soon. If anyone has made progress on this, please update this thread, thanks!

liggle

I have the exact same issue as you. Trying to connect to an Azure SQL database.

I constantly get this in eventvwr:

Service was unable to open new database connection when requested.

ArgumentException: Keyword not supported: 'provider'.

Connection string - Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=%ACCESSDATABASE;mode="Share Deny None"

I have tried this fix https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Configuration_Wizard_fails_due_to_an_error_of_unsupported_keyword to no avail

wacado

Hi Ryan -

The issue is with the wizard setting up the database...it's simply not been developed to handle it yet since it is enough different there are issues. Your error was the same I was getting. Here is what I heard from Solarwinds:

---

"Orion uses SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) in the configuration wizard, depending on what version of Azure SQL was used, it will fail.
                      Configuration Wizard checks for Authentication Mode = Mixed via SMO when the "Next" button is clicked.
                      If it fails, then the Azure SQL in used is an option that is setup Premade with Shared SQL database.
                      There are limitations on the store procedures and the rights issued that enforces the Database to not properly work with Orion.

The resolution is to use the option for Pre-imaged VMs that have Full SQL with no limitations on the store procedures and permission rights."

---

I also then asked if there was a way to skip the wizard and manually set it up, to which the reply was:

---

"Our Azure support is very new, we have only had a small number of cases involving Azure, and we are still learning. But some customers have been able to use Azure databases by using the option for Pre-imaged VMs that have Full SQL with no limitations on the store procedures and permission rights as opposed to the Premade with Shared SQL option.

I just consulted with a developer who suggested making sure the VM has full SQL with no limitations on stored procedures and permission rights, making sure C:\Program FIles (x86)\Solarwinds\Orion\swnetperfmon.db is not present, then going to C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Installers. Find CoreInstaller.msi. If there are multiple versions of this file, choose the newest one. Right-click on it, choose repair, and the configuration wizard will run after the repair completes.
                      "

---

So, as a solution for still running it in Azure, albeit not using Azure SQL Database, I spun up the Marketplace's Windows 2016 with SQL option, which actually is quick nice, the wizard there has steps to deal with SQL, logs, cleanup, other pains, which is nice.  So while it's not SQLaaS, it's doable for now, and later when support is there, I can simply move the database and decommission the SQL server with Windows.

Good luck!

Don

PS - Please make a ticket or otherwise provide them feedback so Solarwinds can understand the need out there...

1 of 1 people found this helpful