3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 3:29 PM by rob.hock

Storage capacity management & planning

dendob

Hey All,

I have been tasked by a few people here to bring our storage infrastructure into view and start storage capacity management & planning for the future.

Now I am myself a storage expert (at least I call myself that) and I am trying the solarwinds storage manager to map out the current situation but as said I need to get a capacity management in place and capacity planning for the future.

can anyone share their experiences or advise on setting something like that up?

Kind Regards

• Re: Storage capacity management & planning
          Deltona

Start here: http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/storage-capacity-planning

Then configure SolarWinds STM and let it run for at least a month to generate usable trend and forecasting.

Review how many IO intensive application servers you have and calculate aggregate/average and theoretical peak IOPs requirements. Multiply your findings by the percent difference in full load versus idle storage performance requirements.

Confirm that these application servers are configured with the right storage type and setup. NO, SQL should NOT be installed on RAID1. You're beating your disks and storage paths by doing so. Plan to move these application servers to a higher storage tier with better available resource performance. You want to do this because these application servers will never demand less storage resources, only more, unless they're taken offline. Plan ahead, plan for growth.

Application servers requiring less storage resources can be moved to lesser tiered storage pools/systems. It is important to separate the resource hogs from the resource mice. build a setup that can easily export data. Define parameters for backup, deduplication and high availability then implement.

Document growth trends moving forward. Analyze and compare these with forecasts. Whatever difference found should be used as a percentage of new storage resources to invest in.

Profit!