8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 8:17 AM by sburton@babc.com

Out of the box "alert me when any hardware component...." issues with firing emails

sburton@babc.com

All my nodes have a custom property called DeviceContactEmail which I specify a email address I want a alert to go to.

When I use the out of the box advanced alert "alert me when any hardware component goes into a warning or critical state" and I use either variable {DeviceContactEmail} or  {node.DeviceContactEmail} the email fails to send.  The test log reads "at least one recipient is required, but none were found."

Any ideas on how to correct?

• Re: Out of the box "alert me when any hardware component...." issues with firing emails
          Dan Howard

May be a silly question, but are you putting a $ in front of {node.DeviceContactEmail}?

And where are you defining this? In the Email/Pager recipients? Or via some custom SQL? If it's custom SQL then the table containing that custom property is Nodes, not Node.

• Re: Out of the box "alert me when any hardware component...." issues with firing emails
              sburton@babc.com

Yes to both questions.  I do have the $ in front.  Sorry, I did not specify that in my original post and yes I am defining it in the email/pager recipients.

Dan Howard

Well, that rules out the easy stuff

Can you export the alert action and post the code here?

sburton@babc.com

Every time I try to copy/paste the alert the body of the post is blank

sburton@babc.com

I think I figured it out.  Don't open Thwack within SolarWinds monitoring page.

***BEGIN COPY***

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                          <AlertDefinitions><AlertDefinition AlertDefID="{8AC92415-2FBD-4C6E-93BA-7B683175CD99}" AlertName="Alert me when any hardware component goes into a warning or critical state" AlertDescription="" Enabled="True" StartTime="12:00:00 AM" EndTime="11:59:59 PM" DOW="1,2,3,4,5,6,7" TriggerQuery="SELECT DISTINCT APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.HardwareSensorID AS NetObjectID, APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.SensorDisplayName AS Name
                          FROM Nodes INNER JOIN APM_HardwareSensorAlertData ON (Nodes.NodeID = APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.NodeId)
                          WHERE 
                          (
                            (
                             (Nodes.Status &lt;&gt; '2')) AND
                            (
                             (APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.SensorOrionStatus = 'Critical'))
                          )

" TriggerQueryDesign="&lt;QUERY&gt;&lt;KIND&gt;1&lt;/KIND&gt;&lt;COMPLEX&gt;&lt;TAG&gt;&lt;/TAG&gt;&lt;CONNECTIVE&gt;1&lt;/CONNECTIVE&gt;&lt;CHECKED&gt;1&lt;/CHECKED&gt;&lt;COMPLEX&gt;&lt;TAG&gt;&lt;/TAG&gt;&lt;CONNECTIVE&gt;1&lt;/CONNECTIVE&gt;&lt;CHECKED&gt;1&lt;/CHECKED&gt;&lt;SIMPLE&gt;&lt;TAG&gt;&lt;/TAG&gt;&lt;ALIAS&gt;&lt;/ALIAS&gt;&lt;ADVANCED&gt;0&lt;/ADVANCED&gt;&lt;COMPARISON&gt;5&lt;/COMPARISON&gt;&lt;FUNCTION&gt;0&lt;/FUNCTION&gt;&lt;SORT&gt;0&lt;/SORT&gt;&lt;CHECKED&gt;1&lt;/CHECKED&gt;&lt;LEFTSIDEKIND&gt;2&lt;/LEFTSIDEKIND&gt;&lt;RIGHTSIDEKIND&gt;1&lt;/RIGHTSIDEKIND&gt;&lt;COMPARISONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;/COMPARISONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;FUNCTIONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;/FUNCTIONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;LEFTFIELDPATH&gt;Network Nodes.Node Status.Node Status&lt;/LEFTFIELDPATH&gt;&lt;RIGHTFIELDPATH&gt;&lt;/RIGHTFIELDPATH&gt;&lt;LEFTVALUETYPE&gt;0&lt;/LEFTVALUETYPE&gt;&lt;LEFTVALUE&gt;&lt;/LEFTVALUE&gt;&lt;LEFTCAPTION&gt;Node Status&lt;/LEFTCAPTION&gt;&lt;RIGHTVALUETYPE&gt;8&lt;/RIGHTVALUETYPE&gt;&lt;RIGHTVALUE&gt;2&lt;/RIGHTVALUE&gt;&lt;RIGHTCAPTION&gt;Down&lt;/RIGHTCAPTION&gt;&lt;/SIMPLE&gt;&lt;/COMPLEX&gt;&lt;COMPLEX&gt;&lt;TAG&gt;&lt;/TAG&gt;&lt;CONNECTIVE&gt;2&lt;/CONNECTIVE&gt;&lt;CHECKED&gt;1&lt;/CHECKED&gt;&lt;SIMPLE&gt;&lt;TAG&gt;&lt;/TAG&gt;&lt;ALIAS&gt;&lt;/ALIAS&gt;&lt;ADVANCED&gt;0&lt;/ADVANCED&gt;&lt;COMPARISON&gt;0&lt;/COMPARISON&gt;&lt;FUNCTION&gt;0&lt;/FUNCTION&gt;&lt;SORT&gt;0&lt;/SORT&gt;&lt;CHECKED&gt;1&lt;/CHECKED&gt;&lt;LEFTSIDEKIND&gt;2&lt;/LEFTSIDEKIND&gt;&lt;RIGHTSIDEKIND&gt;1&lt;/RIGHTSIDEKIND&gt;&lt;COMPARISONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;/COMPARISONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;FUNCTIONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;/FUNCTIONATTRIBUTES&gt;&lt;LEFTFIELDPATH&gt;Hardware Sensor.Hardware Sensor Status&lt;/LEFTFIELDPATH&gt;&lt;RIGHTFIELDPATH&gt;&lt;/RIGHTFIELDPATH&gt;&lt;LEFTVALUETYPE&gt;0&lt;/LEFTVALUETYPE&gt;&lt;LEFTVALUE&gt;&lt;/LEFTVALUE&gt;&lt;LEFTCAPTION&gt;Hardware Sensor Status&lt;/LEFTCAPTION&gt;&lt;RIGHTVALUETYPE&gt;8&lt;/RIGHTVALUETYPE&gt;&lt;RIGHTVALUE&gt;Critical&lt;/RIGHTVALUE&gt;&lt;RIGHTCAPTION&gt;Critical&lt;/RIGHTCAPTION&gt;&lt;/SIMPLE&gt;&lt;/COMPLEX&gt;&lt;/COMPLEX&gt;&lt;/QUERY&gt;
                          " ResetQuery="SELECT DISTINCT APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.HardwareSensorID AS NetObjectID, APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.SensorDisplayName AS Name
                          FROM Nodes INNER JOIN APM_HardwareSensorAlertData ON (Nodes.NodeID = APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.NodeId)
                          WHERE NOT 
                          (
                            (
                             (Nodes.Status &lt;&gt; '2')) AND
                            (
                             (APM_HardwareSensorAlertData.SensorOrionStatus = 'Critical'))
                          )

" ResetQueryDesign="SIMPLE" SuppressionQuery="" SuppressionQueryDesign="&lt;QUERY&gt;&lt;KIND&gt;1&lt;/KIND&gt;&lt;COMPLEX&gt;&lt;TAG&gt;&lt;/TAG&gt;&lt;CONNECTIVE&gt;1&lt;/CONNECTIVE&gt;&lt;CHECKED&gt;1&lt;/CHECKED&gt;&lt;/COMPLEX&gt;&lt;/QUERY&gt;
                          " TriggerSustained="0" ResetSustained="0" LastExecuteTime="1/24/2014 3:24:11 AM" ExecuteInterval="60" BlockUntil="1/24/2014 3:24:13 AM" ResponseTime="0" LastErrorTime="12:00:00 AM" LastError="" ObjectType="Hardware Sensor" IgnoreTimeout="True"><AlertActions><AlertAction ActionDefID="{5A445F8F-97EB-469F-8E97-913AA09E8D25}" AlertDefID="{8AC92415-2FBD-4C6E-93BA-7B683175CD99}" TriggerAction="True" ExecuteIfAcknowledged="True" TimeOffset="0" RepeatInterval="0" StartTime="12:00:00 AM" EndTime="11:59:59 PM" DOW="1,2,3,4,5,6,7" SortOrder="1" ActionType="NPMEventLog" Title="NetPerfMon Event Log : ${SensorDisplayName} on ${NodeName} is ${SensorOrionStatusDescription}" Target="" Parameter1="${SensorDisplayName} on ${NodeName} is ${SensorOrionStatusDescription}" Parameter2="" Parameter3="" Parameter4="" NetObjectType=""/><AlertAction ActionDefID="{8937FAB1-9B6D-45D6-879C-D45535821F80}" AlertDefID="{8AC92415-2FBD-4C6E-93BA-7B683175CD99}" TriggerAction="True" ExecuteIfAcknowledged="True" TimeOffset="0" RepeatInterval="0" StartTime="12:00:00 AM" EndTime="11:59:59 PM" DOW="1,2,3,4,5,6,7" SortOrder="2" ActionType="EMail" Title="Send E-Mail/Page to ${node.DeviceContactEmail};" Target="To:${node.DeviceContactEmail}
                          CC:
                          BCC:
                          SMTPServer:mail.babc.com
                          SMTPPort:25
                          EnableSSL:False
                          Format:Text
                          " Parameter1="${SensorDisplayName} on ${NodeName} is ${SensorOrionStatusDescription}" Parameter2="${SensorDisplayName} on ${NodeName} is ${SensorOrionStatusDescription}

Time:  ${DateTime}" Parameter3="&quot;Network Performance Monitor&quot; &lt;Solarwinds@babc.com&gt;" Parameter4="" NetObjectType=""/></AlertActions></AlertDefinition></AlertDefinitions>

***END COPY***