This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Looking for ideas on alert for up coming network outages.

Hi,

I'm looking for something visual that will notify users of upcoming carrier network outages. The only thing I can come up with is a Custom HTML with basic text stating that "Circuit XXXXX will be down for 2 hrs on 24 Feb" Has anyone anything better? Ideally I would like something like the custom html that would give you a visual notice of upcoming outages and would automatically send out a reminder e-mail on the day of the outage.

Thanks.

• You could have a small database with PHP front end to make the page more dynamic. Okay someone would still need to enter the information into the database but you could then do more dynamic things such as only show ones with a date coming up in the next month and any that have passed today's date take off list.

Not sure if that is what you want or you want to actually integrate into a monitoring piece of software and also for this to work you will need someone who can write in PHP (or you could do it in ASP).

If it was me doing it I would run PHP front end, MYSQL back end (unless you already have license for SQL server) as using both these would be free and I know how to use them.

• IF you unmanage during planned outages then you could both set up an alarm with email and present a custom query resource or report writer resource for nodes with a where clause evaluating unmanaged start times in the next week and/or unmanaged end tImew greater then today.

you could add a custom property called planned outage if you want to trigger on only planned events and not reactive unmanaging events.

I have an unmanaged report and will add the above for my Monday meetings to review and manually generate our CR notifications from

• Thanks for the responses,

The unmanaged option might be workable but I'm not looking for anything really complicated. A clean & simple solution would be great or a nice feature to have in NPM.

Thanks.

• Using the unmanaged function for this is not complicated at all and has the benefit of a view you can place multiple places but will still update anytime an unmanage date is updated from any interface details page. For example if an outage is postponed or resolved earlier and the interface re-managed - the view below will reflect that.

Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 11.21.57 PM.png

I modified an existing custom query I used for unmanaged nodes and was able to just paste in interfaces table. Try this: Add a custom query resource to any page then cut/paste this SWQL into it - if you are on older then NPM 10.7 you might have to remove the tolocal() function as it was added in SWQL v1.8.

--begin code

SELECT

i.caption as Interface

, '/Orion/Interfaces/InterfaceDetails.aspx?NetObject=I%3a' + ToString(i.interfaceid) AS [_LinkFor_Interface]

, '/NetPerfMon/images/small-' + i.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Interface]

, unmanaged, tolocal(UnManageFrom) as Unmanage

, daydiff(getutcdate(), UnManagefrom)as [Days till Unmanage]

, tolocal(UnManageUntil) as Remanage

, daydiff(getutcdate(), UnManageuntil)as [Days until Remanage]

FROM Orion.NPM.Interfaces i

where

(

unmanaged = 'true' and

(minutediff(getutcdate(), UnManagefrom) > -10080)

)

or

(

minutediff(getutcdate(), UnManagefrom) >0

and minutediff(getutcdate(), UnManagefrom) <10080

)

order by unmanagefrom

--end code

Now you could do the same thing with custom properties to track planned outages while not unmanaging the interfaces - check that out here: Re: TIPS &amp; TRICKS: Stop the madness! Avoiding alerts but continuing to pull statistics.