26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 8:28 AM by rhidians

Planning a Solarwinds Upgrade - Have questions about KB article

bharris

Hello,

We are planning a Solarwinds upgrade fairly soon and I had a question regarding the Knowledge Base Article: "Compatibility of SolarWinds Orion Products for Installation and Upgrade". It shows "Standalone Products" and "Orion Modules".  APM, IPAM, IPSLAM, WPM and UDT are listed under both and how can I tell which version we have, whether it be the standalone or module?  I'm assuming that since we have NPM those other products are "modules" of it?  Any explanation of the differences would be helpful.

• Re: Planning a Solarwinds Upgrade - Have questions about KB article
          rob.hock

The definition is pretty blurred owing to legacy versions that weren't standalone, that became standalone, and standalone products that began to integrate. Don't worry about the standalone / module designation and just match the product name and version in the matrix.

wiszm23

You should be able to tell what components you have installed by looking at the bottom of your web page.  You should see something like this:

Version.png

wiszm23

This is the way I perform the upgrades; I coordinate with the SQL Administrator that I am ready to start.  I shut down SW services, he back up the database and I perform the snapshot.  When he tells me the backup is done, I restart the services and commence the upgrade.

Vinay BY

1. Bundle would comprise of all integrated modules in it including the core, first list down what all modules and versions are installed on your environment. Easy way to check would be download the bundle and unzip the same, under readme you will find what all modules are present in that bundle along with the version. If you have all modules in your environment as mentioned in the bundle - you can go with the bundle upgrade. If any of the modules are missing go with Standalone installs like NPM, SAM etc

2. Wrt to SQL DB backup - either way would work, you can do an online backup (While Solarwinds services are running) or offline backup (After you shutdown Solarwinds services) both have their own adv's and dis adv's. But both of them will work. The only issue with offline backup is you will be turning off monitoring when SQL DB backup is being done and after that you would be upgrading your modules, if monitoring is not very critical and you have few hours downtime under your bucket then go for this.

bharris

We are trying to get an idea on how long we should schedule for the upgrade.  These are the versions we have and we will be upgrading to the latest versions. In your experience, how long do you think the upgrades above (NPM/Core, SAM, IPAM, NCM, UDT) will take in total?

NPM 10.4.2 => 10.6.1

Orion Core 2012.2.2 => 2013.2.X

SAM 5.5.0 => 6.0.2

IPAM 3.1.1 => 4.0.0 or 4.1.0

NCM 7.0 => 7.2.2

UDT 2.5.1 => 3.0.2

IVIM 1.5.0 => ???? (Can't find current version/may not need to upgrade)

We also have 5 additional pollers.

Thanks!

RichardLetts

first advise: don't try and upgrade all of these in one go. Instead plan on doing them one at a time.

anyway, IME

a product on the server itself takes 20 minutes to upgrade

a product on a poller takes 10 minutes (with ~10 clicks on dialogs per poller per product): vote for a better installerhere:http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3467

1. yes please install
                        2. YES I've done a database backup
                        3. no I still don't want to participate in the customer program
                        4. yes, you really can install
                        5. Yes, I see you've finished installing
                        6. yes, run the install wizard if you insist
                        7. yes that is still my credentials
                        8. yes that is still the database server
                        9. yes you can finish the wizard
                        10. Yes, thank you for completing successfully
                        11. no, I don't want you to launch the web console

I normally kick off all of the additional poller installs in parallel once the main app server is done.

[I have two app servers and 8 additional poller installs per upgrade, since we have a FoE install]

bharris

Yeah, we weren't planning on running the installs all at the same time.  We were planning on installing the main server is done installing (NPM->SAM->IPAM->UDT).  Once those are done we will upgrade NCM, which is on it's own server.  Finally, we will do the pollers.  How long does the whole process take you in total?

mr.e

Yes, I forgot to mention that I would not dare upgrading everything on the same day.  For example, I'd be OK with upgrading NPM and one more module on the same day, but wouldn't push it beyond that. That would make it hard to do troubleshooting if something goes wrong. It is no fun when there are more than 3 or 4 modules to upgrade. 

bharris

We got the upgrade from NPM 10.4.2 to 10.6.1 done a few weeks ago. We had some issues but support was able to get us through it.  Now we are planning a SAM upgrade to 6.0.2 and was wondering if you guys had gotchas upgrading it, since it sounds like some of you have done it recently.

Do these steps sound right?

1) Stop Solarwinds Services on main server + APEs

2) SQL Guy takes backup of Orion DB

3) VM Snapshot of main NPM server

4) Re-enable Services? (Stop them on the APEs though correct?  Can't remember what we did with NPM)

5) Run SAM install to upgrade (advanced install to point to existing SQL DB?)

6) Run SAM poller install to upgrade APEs

7) Finish

mr.e

About step #1 above.., in my case, I found that stopping the SW services on the core and the polling engines does not work.  The services come back online automatically a few minutes later.  Still, I prefer to make sure that the database is not being updated while I do the full SQL backup.  So, I end up having to stop and disable the SW services on the core and polling engines and then re-enable them after the successful SQL backup.  On this note, I recommended for SW to allow a Maintenance Mode feature in SW, stopping ALL services until told otherwise.

Also, I did run into an issue where the Config Wizard failed due to files locked by the website.  I called SW tech support and they recommended for me to an one additional step, to run IISRESET from the Command Prompt.  The additional step, per SW tech support needs to be done just before step #5 above.  So, I guess you can call it, step #4b -- To run IISRESET from the Command Prompt.  I did as SW tech suggested and that was the only way that I could get the Config Wizard to run.  Aside from that, I did not find any problems with my NPM and SAM upgrades.

Best wishes.

Vinay BY

It depends on how many additional pollers you have, my advice would be to do few things at a time, don't schedule everything at once.

1. DB backup depends on the size of the DB.

2. NPM (Core and IVIM would automatically get upgraded when you upgrade NPM, there's nothing extra that needs to be performed by you for Core and IVIM) - approx 30 mins as its a minor version upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6, once you are done on the main poller - complete NPM installation on all additional pollers.

3.Thing to note - when you install/upgrade the module's - DB will also take some changes (could be indexing and modification on the tables internally) and if its a major version upgrade it will take more time. When it comes to SAM you are moving from 5.x to 6.x

4. You are moving from IPAM to VNQM i guess.

5. I am not aware of NCM & UDT - I haven't used them so far.

Out of curiosity - do you have to perform the upgrade on the same day ? Why can't you split the modules accordingly? From previous exp minimum time required for- DB Backup+NPM+SAM would be like 4 hours - max time could be 8+ hours. (Main Server+ 8 additional pollers is what I have installed on)

mr.e

In my case, the Config Wizard failed after I upgraded to NPM v10.7 and then again when I upgraded to SAM v6.1.  So, I ran it AFTER I installed NPM but before re-running the Config Wizard on the main SW server.  The same was for the upgrade to SAM v6.1.

bharris

Other than that issue, how did the NPM 10.7 upgrade go?  We will probably wait a couple months before we upgrade to it in our environment.

mr.e

I forgot to mention that I noticed that both NPM and SAM have a hotfix , which is on the same ZP files.  The ReadMe file states as follows:

This HotFix addresses an issue when polling stops during the shift to the daylight saving time. This issue occurs if you are running any of the following SolarWinds products: SolarWinds NPM 10.7, NCM 7.2.X, or SAM 6.1.

So, after upgrading to NPM v10.7, I applied the hotfix JobEngine.v2.msi which is contained on the same ZIP file.  Btw, I noticed the same file on the SAMv6.1 download.  I ran it, but I got the message that the application was already installed, so I could only repair it or remove it.  So, I canceled it, since it did not seem that the file was needed. 

Anyway, those were the only issues we had.  It's been almost 4 days since we upgraded both applications and I have not heard any complaints yet.  That is a good sign.