This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What database is the new flow database running and what happens to any report written in SQL

I haven't seen these question asked yet.

1- What database software does the new flow database run?  Is it some in house grown database function or is an adaptation of some other database software like Sybase or MySQL.

2- What happens to any sql reports or alarms built under the old NTA modules

• I was told by a PM that the new database originated with the open source FastBit database project, but has been so heavily rewritten that it's not compatible with native FastBit tools. From the FAQ:

Q: My DBA wants to know more about this NTA Flow Storage database, how does it work?

The NTA Flow Storage database is a column-oriented database that leverages a very fast bitmap indexing technology. Data are stored in partitions that are created per few sources in one, per day or per max size. New partitions are created daily or as necessary. 

Q: How do I access this data? I used to write SQL Queries to data mine the Flow data in SQL?

Now that the Flow data are being stored in our own database, you can directly query the raw Flow data by using the SolarWinds API which leverages our own query language, aptly titled SolarWindsQueryLanguage (SWQL).

Q: I had written some custom reports using SQL, will those still work?

Old custom reports have been archived for you to reference, you will need to rebuild those reports using the new web reporting interface that ships with 4.0. If you are unable to write a similar report with the new web reporting, you can always use the SolarWinds API/SWQL.