2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 12:03 PM by mr_wu66

Database Move; Installed in C: Drive

mr_wu66

Hi All,

I am new to Solarwinds and built a new server. In the process I installed the database in the C: drive... From what I understand, this is incorrect. Can anyone confirm that? If so, what would be the best way to move the database? The server is not critical so loss of data would not be a problem, however, I would like to follow best practices. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Re: Database Move; Installed in C: Drive
          chambooca

Hi,

I am pretty new to Solarwinds as well.  I am new to my team and we just inherited managing this app from another team.  One of the things we have decided to do is move the DB and split up some of the components.  This was a recommendation from our DBAs.  On the SQL server we are splitting Orion onto 3 drives:

1 drive for all the actual SQL data file(s)(we have 2)

1 drive for log files

1 drive for tempdb

According to our DBA, this is suggested in a lot of MS SQL environments cause it helps the Server OS better use the HDD I/Os and should help us gain performance with our queries and our nightly DB maintenance job which has gotten super slow

Again, I am still very new so someone else might have a better idea

• Re: Database Move; Installed in C: Drive
              mr_wu66

Chambooca,

Thanks for the response. My DBA's in essence said the same thing. I'm thinking, since I don't have much configured on our new SW server I'll just blow out the config and rebuild... I did, however, prefer moving the DB but I'm not exactly sure how to or what needs to be moved.