4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 7:03 AM by wpbrown

Cisco Master Version Table Report for Stackable Switches

wpbrown

CatTools has been one of my go to products for years for network backups and configuration management.  I also found the Cisco Master Version Table (Device Hardware/Software Version Report) to be quite useful during my annual SMARTnet review - it gave me a list of my device names, locations (group), and serial numbers.  But lately it's not as useful because I've moved to using stackable switches (e.g., 2960S, 3750X).  CatTools will only capture information for the Master switch in the stack, not any of the Members.

Are there any feature additions in the works that would enhance the Cisco Master Version Table report to work better with stackable switches?

Thanks!

• Re: Cisco Master Version Table Report for Stackable Switches
          rgnanda

Hello,

This is Nanda from SW CatTools Team,

Can you please give some details,

1.Which device type are you using in CatTools?

2.What is the activity you are mentioning?

3.If possible the required commands (and it's output) to be executed in the device as manula PuTTY session log.

Thanks,

Nanda

wpbrown

Hi Nanda,

1) I run this on the devices I mentioned above, the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S, 3750-X, 3850 series switches, all of which are stackable using either a FlexStack or StackWise connection.

2) The current Cisco Master Version Table report includes the device serial number as part of the report.  In a stacked configuration there can be up to nine individual switches (one Master, the rest Members) that are managed as one logical switch.  The Cisco Master Version Table report will only provide the serial number of the Master switch, not any of the Member switches.  It would be great if the report could include the Member serial numbers as well.

3) I don't know how you would collect this information, but one method I use would be:

cat2920s-switch#show version | include System serial number

System serial number            : FOC1234567A

System serial number            : FOC1234567B

System serial number            : FOC1234567C

System serial number            : FOC1234567D

Thanks for following up.

rgnanda

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

The device type 'Cisco.Switch.CatOS' is not having stack details in the report as of now where as 'Cisco.Swicth.IOS' is having stack details in the report.

Please mention which device type you are using in CatTools tpo configure?

And also please post the report output yor are getting now from CatTools as well as output of the commands 'show version'.

And if you have valid maintenance with license please post a query through Solarwinds support.

Thanks,

Nanda

1 of 1 people found this helpful