2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 2:00 PM by choly

NTA 4.0 Flow Storage Server Installation Question

wpbrown

I haven't seen this question specifically addressed, but can I install the NTA 4.0 Flow Storage Server on the same physical server as my existing Orion SQL server?  It's a dual CPU, quad Xeon 2.5 GHz processor w/16 GB RAM running Windows Server 2008 (64-bit).  My Poller, a second physical server, doesn't have the resources as the SQL server, and I'd be hard pressed to get approval to purchase a third server for my deployment.  Specifically, I'd like to know if there would be a technical incompatibility running both, or if it's possible but not recommended, or it's possible and supported.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: NTA 4.0 Flow Storage Server Installation Question
          choly

Hi, technically it is possible. However you should count with extra RAM taken by Flow Storage (up to 80% by default), so your SQL can possibly loss some of its performance. Also put Flow Storage on different disk than SQLDB. So to answer the question - possible but not recommended.

Re: NTA 4.0 Flow Storage Server Installation Question

wpbrownLevel 1

Thanks, this is helpful, and what I had expected to hear.

If I may, let me ask another question.  My current Poller and SQL servers are located in one of my branch offices and scheduled to be moved to our nearby data center in Q1 2014.  Could I spin up a Flow Storage server in the data center now and access it over the WAN?  This would just be temporary for up to three months until I can coordiante bringing the Poller and SQL servers over, then they would all be on the same local LAN segment.  Bandwidth is not a concern, and I would expect the latency between the Poller and Flow Storage server to be in the range of 10 - 15 ms.

Cheers.