12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 4:20 AM by bluefunelemental

Cisco UCS | Advice on configuring alerts

gnew

Hi,

First post so here goes.....

I'm monitoring my Cisco UCS environment via NPM and am pleased to say that I can see what I would expect to see, Cluster IP, Fabric Interconnect A & B, Blades, PSU and Fan's:-)

The problems start when I use the Advanced Alert Manager to create alerts on specific events, like a fan modules. I pulled a fan module earlier and can see that the trap was received but my alert didn't fire! I've attached my alert.

Would anyone be happy to share with me how they have the alerts configured or would anyone from Solarwinds like to get in touch to discuss further?

Things I know that I'm going to need alerts for include....

PSU status

Fan status

UCSM availability

Fabric Interconnect availability

DIMM's that have ECC errors, degraded, inoperable

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

• Re: Cisco UCS | Advice on configuring alerts
          zackm

Capture.JPG

You need to limit the highlighted area. (or just remove it entirely as the UCSStatus will only apply to UCS devices, which is what I assume you want)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            gnew

Just going back to my original point about UCS monitoring...... Would anyone be happy to share with me how they have the alerts configured or would anyone from Solarwinds like to get in touch to discuss further?

Happy Friday:-)

zackm

I think you're not getting a lot of responses because you're on the right track already.

UCS monitoring is really straight-forward and set around PSUs, fans, up/down on blades and a little more with SNMP. All of this would be fairly simple to setup through the Advanced Alert Manager, just like you did with your first alert.

If you're SQL-oriented, you can look through the UCS tables in the database and alert on any column there. And, like always, you can alert on SNMP Traps that fire only when a specific event occurs.

Do you have anything specific you want to alert on that you are having trouble with?

bluefunelemental

Sorry but I disagree completely

Anyone pull a power supply in your UCS and see if it alarms somewhere in the Solarwinds UCS summary page?

I did not and had to build a resource and alarm just for that. Also I found that the active fabric interconnect also responded as the ${nodeid} for the alert so I had to add a SQL subselect to get the actual alarming component.

Hopefully everyone proves me wrong and the time was wasted.

Here's the alert

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 6.04.55 PM.png

and the added SQL in the email action:

${SQL:SELECT c.name FROM npm_ucschassis c inner join[dbo].[NPM_UCSPsus]p on p.parentid=c.id where p.parenttype = 0 and p.parentid = ${ParentID}}

And here's my custom query resources added to the UCS summary page:

SELECT n.caption,p.Power, p.Status, p.Model, p.Name FROM Orion.NPM.UCSPsus p

inner join Orion.npm.UCSFabrics u on p.parentid=u.id

inner join Orion.Nodes n on u.nodeid=n.nodeid

where p.parenttype = 1 and p.status <> 'operable'

UNION ALL

(

SELECT n.caption,f.Power, f.Status, f.Model,f.Name FROM Orion.NPM.UCSfans f

inner join Orion.npm.UCSFabrics u on f.parentid=u.id

inner join Orion.Nodes n on u.nodeid=n.nodeid

where f.parenttype = 1 and f.status <> 'operable'

)

--------&---------

SELECT n.caption,p.Power, p.Status, p.Model,p.Name FROM Orion.NPM.UCSPsus p

inner join Orion.npm.UCSFabrics f on p.parentid=f.id

inner join Orion.Nodes n on f.nodeid=n.nodeid

where parenttype = 1 and

(

hostnodeid = ${nodeid} or

f.nodeid = ${nodeid}

)

--------&---------

SELECT n.caption,p.Power, p.Status, p.Model,p.Module,p.Name FROM Orion.NPM.UCSfans p

inner join Orion.npm.UCSFabrics f on p.parentid=f.id

inner join Orion.Nodes n on f.nodeid=n.nodeid

where parenttype = 1 and

(

hostnodeid = ${nodeid} or

f.nodeid= ${nodeid}

)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        gnew

Thanks bluefunelemental.

I think the information that Solarwinds have provided about monitoring UCS is really lacking:-( If there was sufficient info I'd be referencing the docs rather than being here in the forum!

It's interesting to see that you have created a custom alert. I haven't tried pulling a PSU yet but hope to try later today. One thing that I have noticed is that when creating an alert for a PSU or Fan there appears to be no option to list the Chassis. I'm assuming that I'd need to do something in SQL for this?