3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 8:42 AM by zackm

Solarwinds vs SolarwindsOrion database?

anthony.os

What is the difference between the "SolarWinds" and "SolarWindsOrion" SQL databases?  I want to pull some information regarding our Advanced Alerting and no sure which databases I should be using.  From what I've seen so far, they appear to hold the same tables and information.

• Re: Solarwinds vs SolarwindsOrion database?
          rob.hock

Perhaps a backup made at some point? Check your active DB under settings / DB Details.

anthony.os

It shows SolarWinds at the Catalog under the database settings.  Any idea where the other database would have come from?  I don't recall having the option to specify the database name, so most likely it is the default value that is in place.

zackm

You can name your DB during the installation of most any SolarWinds product. For instance, some larger organizations (read: ISPs) have separate Orion instances per customer in a data center. But the databases are all housed on the same SQL cluster. I've seen setups by city as well. So you may have databases named Miami, Dallas, San_Diego, Fargo, etc. But they are all SolarWinds NPM databases for their respective environment.

This sounds like someone made an oops when installing.

Check the time stamps on the InterfaceTraffic_Detail table (or anywhere else that has time stamps in the table). More than likely they're different. If it were me, I would most likely keep the more recent of the 2, re-run configuration wizard on all my Orion products to point them at the proper DB, then delete the other and setup a good DB maintenance plan in SQL for cleanup and backups in the future.