5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 8:24 AM by reamer

Dynamically Update Node Names on Maps?

reamer

Hello All,

Is there any possible way to dynamically update the node names within maps created with Atlas when the name changes in NPM? We're looking into standardizing and creating a better naming schema for our network and I'm trying to see how much of this can either be dynamic or at least automated. With posts I've found on here I made a SQL query to update the caption names with the system name that SNMP pulls and remove the domain name off of the end, so that'll save a lot of time on it's own. Now I just need to push those new caption names to the previously created maps in Atlas for this to be almost seamless.

Thanks for any help,

Reamer

• Re: Dynamically Update Node Names on Maps?
          borgan

Yes. If you use the SQL variable ${Caption} into the label in place of the automatic label, the map label will then reflect whatever is shown on the Node-- Edit Properties page. Then,  if you change the node name there,  the map label will change too.

reamer

When I tried applying the SQL variable in Atlas it literally showed "${Caption}" as the label. It didn't take the value of ${Caption} from the device it's associated with. Unless you're talking about applying this from a different place. I just right-clicked the current label and edited it to show "${Caption}", nothing more.

njoylif

ensure you right click on object and select label.  That should actually populate a label with the system name.

(another way to verify is to grab and move the label -> it will show a line to the object it is tied to - if any)

This will ensure the label is tied to the proper object so the correct macro/column name gets translated.  then change it to ${caption} or whatever column name you need for that given type of object.

1 of 1 people found this helpful