7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 11:28 AM by saw10

RECOMMEND NTM ON SPREAD THE WORD FOR A $25 AMAZON GIFT CARD!

DanielleH

Let the community know how impressed you are with NTM and earn a $25 Amazon gift card!  Simply post your review in Spread The Word with the questions answered below:

1.       What was life like before using SolarWinds? (Include what you were using and why you decided it was time for a change)
      2.        Which SolarWinds product(s) saved your bacon?
      3.        Did you consider other options, and why did you choose SolarWinds?
      4.       How has life been since you've rolled out SolarWinds in your environment?
        • Re: RECOMMEND NTM ON SPREAD THE WORD FOR A $25 AMAZON GIFT CARD!
          wwfsu2
          1.       What was life like before using SolarWinds? (Include what you were using and why you decided it was time for a change)

-  No Automated network mapping ( Spiceworks , when it had many limitations we decide it was time to change)

2.      Which SolarWinds product(s) saved your bacon?

-  SolarWinds Network Topology Mapper (NTM)

3.  Did you consider other options, and why did you choose SolarWinds?

-  We evaluated many options and finally zeroed in the SolarWinds NTM

4.      How has life been since you've rolled out SolarWinds in your environment?

- The network mapping has never been this easier

thrtnastrx

What do we get if we actually tell the truth about how the software works (or doesn't work for that matter)?  Do we still get the $25 if we say that it hasn't had any updates for a year?  It took 6 months to be able to run on Win10?  That you want over $1000 from me so I can upgrade from 2.21 to 2.22 and get NO NEW FEATURES?  This software is the red-headed stepchild of your portfolio. 

gberry

I totally agree with you. I wish more users would express their disappointment with the companies lack of commitment to this product. You notice that the current cash cow is where all their efforts are. This is the nature of the beast. When products are initially developed they address a need and provide a solution. Once established and become successful, sold a time or two, they become performance points.

gberry

Why would someone recommend a product that has not seen any activity for over a year. The last update was to correct issues with the current version and had nothing to do with the addition of new features or the release of a new version. Notice the disclaimer promising nothing on the products road map page. They have been working hard since March of 2015 though. Not sure on what. Whatever you do folks...don't let that current maintenance agreement expire...you wouldn't want to miss out on another year of nothing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  dfairles

NTM is not useful at all in a large network.  If you are discovering/mapping ~100 nodes, no issue.

Discovery is painfully slow, and will not map a large network.   It takes 48 hours to discover the largest network site I have, while other products can do it in 30-90 minutes with much better accuracy.

Any other Discovery/topology application on the market is much more useful.

The only thing NTM gives us is creating maps for network atlas.

LANSurveyor, the product it replaced was a much better product.

I wish I had all the time back I spent tinkering with NTM trying to get it to work.

All of the Solarwinds discovery applications are way behind their competitors.

Not a fan of people soliciting surveys for rewards. Be it money, prizes, or points.

Kudos to dfairles for an honest opinion. while i am not knowledgeable enough to judge if its an honest review, it looks like an honest opinion.

saw10

This is one of the SolarWinds products that I would not recommend.  Yes we have the product and find it to be of little or no use.

Poor interface

Little use in a large Network

Can not schedule runs

It does not integrate with the Orion Paltform

and so on . . . 

You may want to check out the product blog.  There seems to be little direction for the product or any hope of it being further developed.

It does seem that the product has been abandoned. It is very disheartening.

Again, sorry, this one SolarWinds product that I could not recommend