8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 3:15 AM by cvachovecj

Recommend NCM on Spread the Word for a $25 Amazon gift card!

DanielleH

Let the community know how impressed you are with NCM and earn a $25 Amazon gift card!  Simply post your review in Spread The Word with the questions answered below:

1.       What was life like before using SolarWinds? (Include what you were using and why you decided it was time for a change)
      2.        Which SolarWinds product(s) saved your bacon?
      3.        Did you consider other options, and why did you choose SolarWinds?
      4.       How has life been since you've rolled out SolarWinds in your environment?
        • Re: Recommend NCM on LinkedIn for 300 points!
          nnathan

Hi Danielle,

I took your advice and went ahead to recommend NCM on LinkedIn.

Nicole

• Re: Recommend NCM on Spread the Word for a $25 Amazon gift card!
            lhoyle

I did this today on my facebook account. Hopefully, it is still valid. I know that NCM has changed my perspective on Configuration Management.

ess

I have been tasked to look for a Configuration Manager for our network.  For years, we have been copying the configure  and save it in TFTP server.  It is no longer a good practice in today robust and high demanding network.

I have tested three different products, NCM was tested first and deemed as too difficult and not working well for the non-cisco shop.  But after testing the others, I ordered and installed NCM immediately to my SolarWinds suit.  For every challenge that I found in NCM, it is the same challenge and even harder for the other.

I hope this new NCM 7.3.2 will save my bacon.  It seems better and easier then its predecessor that I installed and tested a year ago.

NCM only rolled out a few weeks.  All Cisco routers and Avaya switches' config were pulled in easily, I am still learning how to make it work with H3C products.  The plus: because it is an addition to the suite, installation is simple.

enigmalegend

So why do i like Solarwind so much you ask... let see :

1.            What was life like before using SolarWinds? (Include what you were using and why you decided it was time for a change)

I was using Nagios , Cacti , and WhatUpGold... yes resources hungry apps where i could have been using one, Solarwinds

2.             Which SolarWinds product(s) saved your bacon?

The reporting tool is awesome. very easy to use

3.              Did you consider other options, and why did you choose SolarWinds?

We have not just consider but we have try and use other options. Solarwinds is a one stop ship for all our needs in our network from a maintenance and reporting point of view

4.              How has life been since you've rolled out SolarWinds in your environment?

It is fanstastic. In my opinion it has increase our efficiency in terms of maintaining devices up to date, providing different report to individuals within our huge IT department and the fact that we are more proactive to issues occurring in our network rather than just sit and wait for things to break

edmaendel

I've been looking for software that would automatically save the configurations of Cisco Routers and switches, Fortinet Fortigate firewalls as well as the VOIP Gateways we use (Patton Smartnode)

The Ciscos and Fortigates were easy as they were supported out of the box.  Managing the Patton Smartnodes involved a fairly simple modification of the Cisco script.

I'm hoping that one day Adtran Atlas configurations can be backed up.  Tech support helped me create a backup script that works but as the configuration is stored in a binary file it isn't supported.  I'm not sure where to make sure that the feature request for support of binary configurations is logged.

All in all I'm very happy with Solarwinds NCM as I know that reliable configuration backups are being made of our most critical gear.