7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 3:06 PM by Dipak Rai

Additional Poller Help!

gl3nn13

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I am extremely new to Orion and my company has given me the task of adding an additional poller. I am also very new to the server structure and not sure how it all works. Is the database on the same server as the poller generally and how would I be able to find out if it is? and If they are seperate can you add a poller to the network and use the same database or not? The reason I ask is that the additional poller is to be situated at a different location over a WAN. I know there are tutorials and documentation on adding additional pollers but I am not sure of the setup. If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks

Glenn

• Re: Additional Poller Help!
          Ram Esakky

Hi,

Please call Solarwinds Tech support they would be more than happy to help you.

-Ram Esakky

aLTeReGo

Is the database on the same server as the poller generally and how would I be able to find out if it is?

SolarWinds best practices recommend against installing SQL and Orion on the same machine, though in smaller environments this may be less of an issue. You can find information on the SQL Server and database Orion is using by going to [Settings -> Database Details]

Database_Name.png

If they are seperate can you add a poller to the network and use the same database or not?

Yes. All Orion Additional Pollers write to the same SQL database as the primary Orion server.

njoylif

its a very straightforward install.  it will prompt you for your primary NPM server and your DB server name/IP and DB credentials.

axonrus

I am about to upgrade NPM and other Orion Modules.  Do I update the Additional Pollers after NPM and all modules have been upgraded?  The instructions for NPM upgrade indicate to stop the additional pollers before installing NPM.  Is this true for the other Orion modules as well?  Should I leave the pollers disabled until all modules have been upgraded?  I noticed there is no documentation for additional pollers.  Thanks.

aLTeReGo

Yes. Shutdown all Orion services on the Additional Pollers so the database schema can be updated during the upgrade process without the polling engines causing database table locks. Upgrade the primary Orion server first, bringing it up/online after completing the upgrade of NPM and all other modules on that primary Orion server. Once complete, upgrade each additional poller individually with all product modules before continuing on and upgrading the next additional poller.

Dipak Rai

basically additionally Poller is used to for only Polling the devices. NPM application will be operate from Primary Orion Server. Database will be the same.

After installing additional poller, you need to map with current existence database is being used by Primary Orion server.

Once done while adding the devices, you can select the Primary Orion server or additional poller as poling engine.