This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is there a way to create a child website in SolarWinds with a separate URL

Is there a way to create a child website in SolarWinds with a separate URL. I can provide details if anyone has ever done this before. I am trying to separate the nodes that can be viewed by a specific user group by having them login to a different URL to access their devices.

Any help is much appreciated.

Ose

• You can install an "Additional Web Server". The additional web server is primarily designed to provide access to the web console to remote locations, or to offload web console users from the primary server. But it doesn't really provide any additional, or isolated, security restrictions. All of the data is still held in the primary Orion database, just the process load and browser connections are offloaded. You can find more information in the Network Performance Monitor Administrator Guide -> Other Orion Products -> Using an Additional Orion Web Server from the

Online Documentation

Generally speaking, though, filtering viewability by node is standard function of user account security. A bit more detail as to exactly what your needs are may help better understand your particular use case, so it may simply be a matter of configuring the correct security.

From Common Components Administrator Guide -> Creating Account Limitations in the Online Documentation

The Account Limitation Builder application allows you to create and customize account limitations for the Orion Web Console. These limitations ensure that users of the web console can only view the network objects that are pertinent to their job duties. The following are but a few examples of the uses of account limitation in the Orion Web Console:

• Limit customer views to specific network nodes
    • Limit views by department or functional area
    • Limit views by device type or device role
    • Limit views based on the geographic location of devices
  • Thank you LGarvin. I will look into using the Account Limitation feature and hopefully this would satisfy the audit requirements.

Extra detail:

We have an audit / security requirement to (wall off) access to some nodes that we are going to be monitoring from the general user community. The initial suggestion was to have a separate SolarWinds environment (too expensive), use the existing environment but see if a different URL was possible (hence the question), and restrict views.

I am currently moving the users to AD groups to manage their access easier. If the account limitations can be applied to those groups, it may satisfy the audit requirement.

• Yes, you can filter permissions based on AD groups. =)

I'm in healthcare, and we have an obligation to filter traffic/information access based on permissions in AD, and this meets our audit requirements.

Settings >> Manage Accounts

Select the "Groups" tab. You can add AD groups here, and manage their views and permissions in an array of different ways.

Specific account limitations can be applied to a plethora of different aspects of nodes or views.

This is just some of them (to get to this list, from Groups, select one, click "Edit" and there should be a button for "Account Limitations"):

Account Limitation Options.JPG

HTH!