This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report Writer not responding

In the Report Writer app when selecting either "preview" or "execute" the app becomes non-responsive as the SQL process goes from 0-3%  to the high 30's.  The process has to be killed via taskmgr.  Running the report via the web console returns the report very quickly.  We need to have the output in csv  or xls format so running from the Report Writer is required.

What's the difference between running the report from the web console than from the Report Writer on the server?

MS-SQL and SW are running on the same server with more than minimal resource [i.e.: CPU, memory and available drive space].

• When you run it in the web you should get a "Export to Excel" link next to edit report. Do you not have this?

Report-img.jpg

• We have this only in new created report, that mean with Custom Table.

• Hello Fred Lipton,

Every report has problem with exporting to csv in Vb6 Report Writer application?

Is possible recreate that report as Custom Table resource?

thanks

• The only options in that area of the screen is 'export to pdf' and 'printable version'.  No 'edit report' or 'export to excel'.  The latter would resolve the issue.

I looked in the settings|alerts section for the 'reports and alerts' but it only shows actions related to alerts, nothing for modifying the reports output.  we're running NPM 10.5 and Orion 2013.1.0. 

• Hello,

Sorry, web-based-reporting was introduced in NPM 10.6. In web-based-reporting you can create Custom Table resource, which can be exported to Excel.

Thanks

• Aloha LadaVarga;

I can run a similar report but with a few less fields successfully.  It's only this one report [availability all nodes previous month] which has been run successfully many times previously.  Other reports tested run normally.  I suppose it's possible there's a corruption in the report definition.  I will try creating it from scratch and report my results.

Thnx...F

• Recreating the report was illuminating.  It appears that adding any of the custom fields to the "select fields" section and then executing it sends the sql process from low single digits to high 30's % and the report writer becomes unresponsive.  The report is "availability - last month" which I produce, export as excel format and send up the chain o' command.  The custom fields allow mgmt to sort by contact name [responsible group] and device type [servers, printers, switches, etc.].  I can run the canned availability report but without those fields.  Using the canned report with adding those custom fields or creating it from scratch ends the same way.

• And this is my big head scratcher: the same report that hoses up the Report Writer, when published to the web console, runs without a problem.

So, what's the difference between running the report from the web console than from the Report Writer app on the server?

• Upgraded to 10.6, followed your suggestion creating report as custom table and can export in an xls format.  That reduces the urgency of reports to mgmt.  Still uncomfortable that running from the report writer app consumes enough resource to hose the system when previously it did not.  I've got a support ticket going and when we figure that one out I'll post our findings.

Thanks to all who chimed in to help....Fred

• I also want to be enlightened about the difference between the application report writer versus the web based.

When I use the application, the export to excel is very slow like 20 records per second, while in web based it is so fast.

NPM 11.0.1 here