This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

File Send Error

I have Serv-U File Sharing setup and when I try to upload a file in the WebUI I keep encountering the following error...

ERROR: The specified file or directory does not exist.

I have tried using different files, different browsers, and even a different system and I still get this error.  Is there some piece of configuration that I am missing?

• Check your file sharing settings, specifically the "File Sharing Repository" path.  There's a bug in the browse dialog for this field where if you highlight a folder and confirm it without browsing into the folder, then the value that's used is just the name of the directory rather than its full path.

In other words, make sure the value you're using for this option is a full path.

• Thanks but no matter how I try and browse to it I am still seeing this problem.

• If you double-click on the folder you want to use (so the dialog actually browses to it) and then hit "Select" in the dialog, it should use the full path.  Otherwise, just manually type in the path in the field and save it.

• I tried that, I also tried typing it in.  I am still getting the same error.  I also tried all of your suggestions in both FireFox and IE.

• I recommend to contact our support, so we can look into this deeper and see if it's a configuration problem or something else.

• Same issue here.  Seems like it should be easy but it just won't upload a file.  Exact error you are getting.  Please keep us posted.

• I haven't yet called support about this as we are only evaluating the software so I wasn't sure if that would be appropriate.  I was really hoping somebody would have an answer here in the forums.

• Are you trying to upload as a guest to a share that was already created when the bad path value was being used?  I believe the path for a share is set at the time the share is created, so it can differ from the current file sharing repository value.  If that's the case and you now have a full path for this configuration value, please try creating a new share and try it again.

• Do you literally have to share the path in Windows (windows file sharing)?

Here's what my config looks like....I even gave the test user access to the directory and unchecked locking the user to their home directory.  I'm trying this internally - to simulate an internal user wanting to share a file with an outside client.  Server 2012 Standard - UAC turned off.

serv-u-filesharing.jpg

ftptestuser.jpg

failedupload.jpg

• You don't need to setup the directory access rules for the user.  The file sharing feature does not use these settings since guest user access is restricted to a specific file share rather than a physical path.  You also shouldn't need to share anything from within Windows itself.  The Serv-U process will obviously need to be able to write to the directory where file shares are being stored. This really only comes into play if using mapped network drives which it appears doesn't apply here.

Your settings look correct to me.  Are you still receiving this error when creating a brand new file share and attempting to upload to it?  If so, I agree with Peter that the best way to proceed would be to contact our support department for assistance so we can help you a bit better than we can through the forum.