56 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2019 2:06 AM by epicor.jastalos

Check All Services Which Set To Automatic Mode Are Running

alexslv

Hi All,

This is my first post   OK, straight to the point:

Attached template is based on VBScript and will check status of all services on the Windows based machines. If those services which set to automatic are not running script will increase "Statistic" counter. I have set threshold to CRITICAL = "1", as there is no real reason why AUTOMATIC service should not be running (there are some exceptions of course). The template will also report back names (Service Display Name) of those services which are set to automatic and not running. This is handled by "Massage" variable and will be visible in SAM, so, you can see in SolarWinds SAM all you need straight away.

You can also define exceptions. Well, this can be improved to make it bit more easier to manage. At the moment you will need to modify VBScript itself. Just open it and you will see straight away the line of code which you need to copy-pase. Add additional exception if you need to.

Thank you very much for using it,

Best of luck,

Alex

• Re: Check All Services Which Set To Automatic Mode Are Running
          dc_san

works great, thanks for sharing!!!!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            aLTeReGo

Great Template alexslv. You might want to consider posting this in the Server & Application Monitor Content Exchange, where it will get greater visibility.

orioncrack

Alex,

Any help making this work for one service? I can't code, I envy you.

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10

Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

Dim MonitoredServer

Dim arrComputers

Dim StrComputer

Dim objItem, objWMIService, colItems

Dim Statistic

'SCRIPT INPUT: ${IP}

MonitoredServer = WScript.Arguments(0)

For Each strComputer In arrComputers

Const strSVCName = "erm8"

arrComputers = Array(MonitoredServer)

statistic = 0

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service WHERE DisplayName = '" & strSVCName & "'")

For Each objItem In colServices

If objItem.StartMod = "Manual" Then

statistic = statistic + 1

End If

Next

End If

End If

End If

Next

Next

alexslv

What do you mean "for one service"? This script is specifically designed to handle all of them. If you just need one only - I suggest you use out-of-the-box solution to monitor services - it is called "Windows Service Monitor" when you build an application template and select add new component

orioncrack

Right. I'm doing that bu this guy wants to know if someone changes 1 service to manual.

I have all the code in the world to do it but can't string it together properly. It's like putting my mom in the cockpit of a Lear jet. I would die to have ninja scripting skills.

alexslv

You don't need ninja skills - Google has all you need

By the way, this is exactly the idea of this script - if you don't want this script to pick up any services - you just stick them to "manual" mode and job done. In your case however it is not a service you need to be monitoring, but your people. If "someone" has changed it to manual - I guess you need to find out who and why. There might have been a reason of doing so. I can see that in your above attempt you are trying to trigger an alert if your "erm8" service is set to manual... Hmmm... not the best approach. If I were you I would send a blanket email to technical team advising them that under any circumstances should automatic services be switched to manual, unless it has been approved by relevant team/engineers. Also, I am sure windows is logging an event every time you switch service to different mode - I guess you can use this event to trigger an alert on service mode change if needed.

If you still want to proceed with your script, try to replace the following line with the below - as it is just one service - simply supply it in query as below:

Set colServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service WHERE DisplayName = 'erm8' ")

orioncrack

Thanks Alex. I will test. You are the OB1 to my Princess Leia.  

alexslv

no problem

By the way, in your script above it seems that you have too many "End If" clauses at the end. For every "For" there should be one "Next" at the end. For every "If" there may be "Then" somewhere in the middle, but there must be one closing "End If". Also you had a typo - "objItem.StartMode" not "objItem.StartMod"...

So, after testing - here is what you get - working script below:

=====================================

Dim MonitoredServer

Dim arrComputers

Dim StrComputer

Dim objItem, objWMIService, colServices

Dim Statistic, Message

Statistic = 0

Message = "Hey, Scripting Guy ... erm8 is not Manual, but who knows - maybe someone has disabled it or it does not exist at all ... I need to make sure server access is properly secured and my engineers know what they are doing!"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service WHERE DisplayName = 'erm8'")

For Each objItem In colServices

If objItem.StartMode = "Manual" Then

Statistic = Statistic + 1

Message = "Oh my Gosh, erm8 has been set to Manual again!!! Whoever did it will get a massive slap when I find you!!!"

End If

Next

Next

WScript.Echo "Message: " & Message

WScript.Echo "Statistic: " & CInt( Statistic )

cscoengineer

Very nicely done!!   I was able to convert a Nagios monitoring to SW using this script.  The only changes were the addition of exclusions.

Nagios:

a1.png

SolarWinds SAM "Check Automatic Services Are Running.apm-template" with WQL exclusions

a2.png

Thanks

cscoengineer

In addition to the monitoring, I always like to couple it with a report.  This aids in alerting.

select

n.caption [Node]

,cast(substring(ARD,MultiValueStastics, 11,5) as numeric(5,0)) [Service Down]

,substring(ARD.MultiValueMessages, 37, 500) [ServiceNames]

from nodes n with (nolock)

inner join APM_AlertsAndReportsData ARD with (nolock) on (ARD.nodeid=n.nodeid)

where (ARD.ComponentStatus like 'Crit%' and ARD.ApplicationName like 'Auto%')

Order by [Service Down] Desc

alexslv

Oou yes, definitely Well done. From my experience, when we first apply this template across all nodes in infrastructure - it picks up sooooo many problems, that we just have to use reporting to start with to go through all of them, before we enable alerts themselves.

gcow

Thank you for adding the report - very useful.  When I tried it I got "Query not valid" due to a typo.  Fixing that yielded no results as the app name didn't match.  Then the string split was slightly out.  So I tweaked it slightly to match the original template:

select

a.n.caption [Node]

,cast(substring(ARD.MultiValueStatistics, 11,5) as

numeric(5,0)) [Service Down]

,substring(ARD.MultiValueMessages, 31, 500) [ServiceNames]

from nodes n with (nolock)

inner join APM_AlertsAndReportsData ARD with (nolock) on

(ARD.nodeid=n.nodeid)

where (ARD.ComponentStatus like 'Crit%' and

ARD.ApplicationName like 'Check Automatic Services Are Running')

Order by [Service Down] Desc

nkoconno

This is a great addition.  I'm trying to run get this report created and am encountering the *query not valid* exception.

Assuming I'm just doing something wrong. I'm trying to create a new report (Web Manager, Manage Reports, Create New Report, Add Content: Custom Table, Advanced Database Query; when using this or the suggestion below from gcow, both show the query not valid exception.

I found the string in question that should be included in the report via this simple SQL query:

SELECT * FROM [dbo].[APM_AlertsAndReportsData]

where ComponentName='Check Automatic Services Are Running' AND ComponentStatus='Critical'

Desired Value contained in MultiValueMessages

Can someone please point me in the right direction to get the report working correctly?

gtierney

This is exactly what I needed, Thanks Alex!! 

I ran into a similar issue where our development team was spinning up new services on servers that needed to be monitored.  As you can imagine, this becomes a royal pain as we would need to add the new service to monitoring each time.  What I needed was a monitor that would check any service on a node with a specific prefixed name such as "CORE." and was set to automatic startup. 

Below is the VB Script that I used

______________________________________________________________________________

Dim MonitoredServer

Dim arrComputers

Dim StrComputer

Dim objItem, objWMIService, colItems

Dim Statistic

Dim Message

statistic = 0

message = "Stopped services - "

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_Service where name like 'core.%'", "WQL", wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)

For Each objItem In colItems

If StrComp(objItem.StartMode,"Auto") <> 0 Then

If StrComp(objItem.State,"Running") <> 0 Then

statistic = statistic + 1

message = message & " | " & objItem.DisplayName

End If

End If

Next

Next

If statistic = 0 Then

WScript.Echo "Message: All services are running"

WScript.Echo "Statistic: 0"

Wscript.quit(0)

else

WScript.Echo "Message: " & message

WScript.Echo "Statistic: " & statistic

Wscript.quit(1)

End If

______________________________________________________________________________

There are a couple of tweaks I am planning to do with this like adding the service name search prefix as a parameter passed into the script by the calling component check, probably removing the server loop as only one server is being passed into the script at a time and maybe automatically restarting the service but for now, this works great.

Thanks again!

torwals

Hei,

Sorry beforehand for being a complete noob in scripting in general (especially with vbscript). Our company just started using this gem of a template on a subnumber of our servers. I was wondering what type of value the script is looking after when doing exceptions and where. Under I will link a part of the script after the text  says the exceptions needs to be added and I would love someone just to enter in example exception at the right line, so I can see what is needed. Thank you already for taking your time.

<Value>This script will check all automatic services and return count number of how many are not running. It is possible to setup exception, but this needs to be done by modifying script itself (you can do it below, here)</Value>

<ValueType>String</ValueType>

<Key>__UserDescription</Key>

</d5p1:Value>

</d5p1:KeyValueOfstringSettingValueyR_SGpLPx>

<d5p1:KeyValueOfstringSettingValueyR_SGpLPx>

<d5p1:Key>__UserNotes</d5p1:Key>

<d5p1:Value>

<Required>false</Required>

<SettingLevel>Template</SettingLevel>

<Value></Value>

<ValueType>String</ValueType>

<Key>__UserNotes</Key>

<d5p1:Key>CountAsDifference</d5p1:Key>

<Required>false</Required>

<SettingLevel>Template</SettingLevel>

<Value>false</Value>

<ValueType>Boolean</ValueType>

<Key>CountAsDifference</Key>

<d5p1:Key>ScriptArguments</d5p1:Key>

t.imtiyaz

Hi Alex,

When Testing the script on one of the node i am getting below error. Can you please help me out..

Unable to impersonate user.This user must be a valid user on the Orion Server/Polling Engine.

I have selected <inherit credential from node>

Thanks,

faisal.ishfaq

Thanks alot for this, with no knowledge of scripting and hours of search and scratching my head I finally landed on this post which is working as a charm

Also I would like to thank @gcow for explaining how to put the exception in the script in the comments below as some of the services are sitting there set as automatic however only works on demand and stays in "non-running" state.

faisal.ishfaq

I wonder if there is a script similar for Linux running servers please? or you could recommend any.

Thanks in advance

jameslindsay

Once you have loaded and deployed the template to a node, what are the steps to configure an alert to trigger an email?

jmayrand

Thanks for this!  Was looking for something exactly like it!

epicor.jastalos

Hello all - thank you, this is a great script!

How could I start/restart services found NOT running?

Thank you,

Jan

marcv

alexslv

Was this ever uploaded to content exchange? I can can't find it when i search content exchange using Sam Console?

-marc

venubabu

Hello Alex,

Firstly thanks for sharing VBscript. It works great per expectations. and I had a query regarding the message out put, if mutliple services are stopped I would like to see one alert per one service so that it makes easier to troubleshoot our team to work on separte incidnets,  Is this something possible modifying the script, I tried several ways in trigger actions but did not work though. Please assist, thanks in advance.

alexslv

There is no easy way. The whole idea here is to save on overhead in having multiple components, multiple alerts, reduced scope, etc. In this case it is all simple and straightforward - ONE component, all services, everything is in scope, no inconsistencies ... 100% win-win-win

If I would desperately need to implement something what you are asking - I would do the following:

1. Design SQL script to pull out all message variables from all automatic service components across all servers. Message variable contains all stopped services

2. Split message per component into separate rows so that you have one service per row (example below)

server1 | abs stopped

server1 | cdf stopped

server2 | efg stopped

3. Create standard SQL view based on the above output

4. Use advanced SQL option for your new alert and lookup for the data in this view. Every row will yield an alert. In this case 2 nodes will result in 3 alerts

Above concept is doable. Most difficult part would be to find SQL guru to design query as per step (2). The rest is simple.

Even if you will accomplish this - I still think one alert per node is enough. More often then not it is just one service failing at a time. If you have multiple failure simultaneously - I bet it still all relates to same issue. So, I would not trigger multiple alerts anyway

BONUS:

• One interesting approach is to setup an alert something like below:
                                                            • Trigger on component
                                                              • If component name = "Automatic Services"
                                                              • AND Status = Critical (or warning, depending on your setup)
                                                              • AND message contains "MSSQLSERVER"

This way you will have a dedicated alert for SQL Service across your entire infrastructure (as long as this template is assigned to all servers). It is an excellent way to notify your DBAs. Your can expand this to include more services for your DBA team and obviously create more alerts for other teams as well

Best luck!

With Gratitude,

Alex Soul

nkoconno

Hey, I'm having trouble using a wildcard for the services.  Some services are named differently on each server, example "Sync Host_xxxxxxx"  I tried using

(StrComp(objItem.DisplayName,"Sync Host_%") = 0) OR _

and

(StrComp(objItem.DisplayName,"Sync Host_*") = 0) OR _

but neither are working.  Can you please help with what wildcard character would work here for the whitelist?

Thanks

Nick

alexslv

Recently I had to exclude some services globally, by using a wildcard. jonsc has approached me with exact same question, so, sharing it here with everyone:

For the exact match we are currently using StrComp matching function, example below:

(StrComp(objItem.DisplayName,"Windows Update") = 0)

For the wildcard match you need to use InStr function, example below:

(InStr(objItem.DisplayName, "Sync Host_") > 0)

Happy SolarWinding,

Alex

epicor.jastalos

Hi alexslv, all

I've been using this script for a while, but getting this error message on some servers (and app monitor is obviously not assigned during app discovery):

C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\Orion\temp\d6bb840f-612f-4686-8e74-eb6519268a4a(20, 4) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied: 'GetObject'

Errors: ==============================================

C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\Orion\temp\d6bb840f-612f-4686-8e74-eb6519268a4a(20, 4) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied: 'GetObject'

Note: Yes, I use admin account.

Could you please advise?

Thank you.

Jan

alexslv

Ensure WMI works on those servers. This is usually the case for such errors

>

epicor.jastalos

hI alexslv

I've identified an issue - because of multiple domains, using vbscript is problematic.

A user with admin permissions on both Orion and Target server is required.

obviously, I cannot create a domain user that has permissions in all (separate) domains.

It would either need to be a local user with the same name and same password on all servers,

or a powershell script that can be run remotely - on a target machine.

Do we have this script written in PowerShell?

Thanks,

Jan

alexslv

I would suggest to simply create multiple templates for each domain and

assign appropriate users for each template. Then you can assign those

templates to multiple domains

epicor.jastalos

alexslv - that does not make any sense to me. If this was true, it could be achieved also on the application monitor level by changing an account per app monitor. My understanding is when working with Windows Script Monitor = VBSCRIPT, an account with both Orion admin permissions and Target admin server permissions must be used. If Orion server is in a different domain then a target machine, it cannot be achieved by using a domain account.

Possibly only a local account with same user&password on Orion and on target server.

Details from the Use Windows Script monitors:

Credential for Monitoring

Select a Windows credential that is both a user who can log on to the Orion server, and has sufficient rights on the target node (which may be the Orion server itself, depending upon your application) to do whatever the script needs to do. For example, if the script does something with WMI, the credentials also need WMI rights on the target node.

Please correct me if I am wrong cause I've been struggling with this for a while.

Thanks,

Jan

alexslv

Try this - create a local account on the machine in another domain with

exact same user name and password. On the template level see if it is

possible not to specify domain name. This may actually work, but I am not

100% sure on this

Another option is to ask your domain admins to establish interdomain trust

for authentication

I guess you are trying to tap into your DMZ zone. I remember I had similar

challenge, but it was long ago, not sure how did I overcome this.

By the way, this challenge has nothing to do with script. I would advise

you to log a ticket with SolarWinds and seek help from them - they might

have some workarounds in their arsenal

Share here if you find anything

With Gratitude

Alex

epicor.jastalos

Hi alexslv

Yes, that's what I've already mentioned - a local account with the same name and same password works, but it raises a security question.

Domain does not have to be specified, that's why this can be achieved.

When monitoring plenty of customers, you cannot really afford interdomain trust.

Anyway, thanks for discussing this, sometimes helps to think loudly to find solutions

If there was any powershell script with the same functionality, please give me a heads up.

Thanks,

Jan

erikrichter

Fantastic monitor, Alex!!

Is there a way to filter out the "Delayed Start" and "Triggered Start" services? I'm pretty green with scripting...