This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Converting Trap data to visual indicators on a Network Map

We have an interesting task:  we need to add about a hundred items to our Network Map (preferably organized into 3 groups), and these items are not pollable.  All we have to work with are traps.  (The nodes are not pollable for largely non-technical reasons... they span several governmental entities.) 

Is anyone aware of, or in possesion of, prior work of this type?  We own NPM and SAM (also IPAM, UDT, WPM, NTA, VNQM, and IVIM, FWIW).  I've thought of using a Trap rule to write to a log file, then have a "File Change" SAM monitor alert that the log file changed, and indicate this on the network map, but the problem is in re-setting the monitor.  The staff monitoring it will not have admin access to SAM (required to re-calculate the file hash and thus reset the SAM monitor).  A simpler way would be to link the Trap to an External Node (correlated by IP address), but I don't know if this can be done.

Ideas welcome emoticons_happy.png

• Good move on putting this out there. My initial reaction to the request from Chris was that there was no built-in way to “map” trap data in SolarWinds. Hopefully your question will get some immediate feedback.

Brett

• Traps can be tied to external nodes (tried, works)

Traps can also change the state of INTERFACES on nodes (not useful in this case)

Traps can run external programs (not tried)

External programs can update the database (tried)

You could use the SWAPI to change the status of a node to down.(not tried)

• Following up on my own post, in case it's useful to anyone else.  And thanks for the suggestions, RichardLetts.  We decided to go with a custom report which shows traps (filtered by a SQL query) which have arrived in the last 30 minutes.  It displays as a resource next to the network map.  It does not display much detail other than site name (we used Regular Expressions to tie IP ranges to sites), but it's a visual indicator on the big screen telling staff to check email for a detailed alert.  We'll see how it pans out when we go live.