6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 4:50 AM by PavelSuchy

Device Discovery in NPM 10.6

extrands

Device Discovery (Network Sonar) in NPM 10.6 includes a great enhancement for filtering interfaces to be added.  You can select different criteria, giving the greater granularity we have all been asking for in imports.  One issue I'm finding is when using the advanced filtering options, nesting, or selecting more that one criteria simultaneously isn't working for me.  A single filter works fine, more than one, and no interfaces are selected even if they match.  I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this behavior or if this is a unique anomaly.

• Re: Device Discovery in NPM 10.6
          rob.hock

Does not appear to be a known issue. Would it be possible to try a different browser?

rgward

I think the filtering is a great enhancement too but would've much preferred SolarWinds developers to have provide this filtering on the front-end when creating a new discovery rather than on the back end after the discovery has completed. This is the main reason we have never used device discovery to any extent. The way discovery works today, there is way too much chafe we don't care to see and you have to wade through it to determine what devices and interfaces to import.  It would be great to be able to create a discovery profile, for example, to only discover a specific vendor and/or machine type and specific interface type(s) (e.g., trunk ports only, TenG, Gig).   With that said, it would also be nice to be able to save a profile then, be able to choose profile from a pick list when creating a new discovery rather than have to create each new discovery from scratch. 

I think I'll create a feature request now. 

PavelSuchy

Hi extrands,

this works like a charm on my environment. I should mention that there is "and" operator between two conditions so your interface alias must contain both "uplink" and "vending" words. If you are looking for interfaces with alias "uplink" or "vending" then use both words separated by space in one condition ("Interface alias contains any keywords uplink vending").

If this is not your case then open support ticket, please.

Thanks and cheers,

Pavel

extrands

Thanks Pavel,

Looked at it again, and it was definitely a PICNIC error (Problem In Chair, Not in Computer).  I was expecting an "OR" between the two, not an "AND".  Looking at it now, that was my error, and I can make my selection criteria work properly now. 

I do think that rgward had a valid point, and I would recommend implementing his http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3183 idea.  I would rather have at least an option of filtering before discovery rather than after. 

PavelSuchy

Well, I have to agree that it is not very clearly stated that there is AND between the conditions. There is also lack of information about the "OR" usage possibility and help doesn't seem to be very helpful here.

I will create request for adding those information there so it can be addressed in the future releases.

Cheers,

Pavel