5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 3:38 PM by Dipak Rai

discovery central

ashley.foster@sih.net

I would like to scan my networks for printers and pc's. Is there a way to use Orion to do this?

• Re: discovery central
          thughes92

Yes. If you go to Settings, then Network Discovery. Fill in your enviornmental Variables (Credentials, polling for VMware, IP/subnet ranges, timesouts/retrys) then hit run now.

You can also run rediscoveries every x amount of time to ensure your list is still accurate.

Hope this helps. If you need more help please feel free to reply here and i can help the best i can!

Thughes92

ashley.foster@sih.net

Thank you for your quick response, the problem i am running into, is when i select discovery central it wants to scan using SNMP, my pc's and printers do not have SNMP set up on them. What I was hoping to do is scan the network and if there is something on a certain ip address that it would respond with the device or ip address of the device. Do you know if anything like that is possible?

thughes92

I'm a little confused about your wording.

1.)Are you trying to scan the network to see if there is something using SNMP? and if so if it will bring you a name or ip address.

Or

2.)Are you trying to scan without using SNMP, only using WMI, RPC, or ICMP.

To try and help,

1. if you are trying to find rouge SNMP Devices you will need a community string. usually devices are setup by default with the "public" community string. Only if someone has changed the community string will it be different.

SNMP.PNG

2. if you are trying to scan without SNMP. Delete all the creds out of the box above and load your WMI Credentials in the Windows tab. (This typically needs to be some cred that has local admin of all the boxes like a service account in the Domain admin group. or multiple credentials if you dont think you can narrow it down to one cred. )

Then put in your IP Ranges/ Subnets/ or specific nodes

Spacific Nodes.PNG

Then on the Discovery Settings page

1. move the bars for SNMP Time out Search timeout and SNMP Retries to a desired interval and Hit Next and Run Now.

Or

2. Turn SNMP Time out Search timeout and SNMP Retries all the way down to the left and this will make your discovery run more smoothly.

I hope this helps!

thughes92

Now that i re read your post. I Remember thinking the same thing when i went through the Network Discovery the first time.

Please Select the number 2 option. there will be a prompt a little later to provide the correct credentials for Windows/wmi and RPC  connections.

Tanner Hughes

Dipak Rai

Run the discovery only through ICMP protocol, it will detect all the devices . (make sure ICMP is enabled and devices are reachable from Orion Server).