5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 3:26 AM by Vinay BY

Advanced Alerting - Auto correlation

Vinay BY

Hi,

I am trying to create an auto-correlation rule in Advanced Alerts (Custom SQL Alert : APM Component), I need to alert on the below condition:

IF (Service/Process 1A on Server 1 is DOWN) AND (Service/Process 1B on Server 2 is DOWN) - Generate an alert.

1. Service/Process running on Windows. Is this achievable ? Is there a way to do this?

2. I have created a 2 Windows Service monitors to check availability of the Service on Windows ( Service 1A and Service 1B)

3. I tried the below condition which returns zero rows in Solarwinds

WHERE

(

(APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName='Service 1A') AND (APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName='Service 1B') AND (APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentStatus='Down')

)

4. I tried to nest it as well, but same result - it will not return any rows

WHERE

(

((APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName='Service 1A') AND (APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentStatus='Down'))

AND

((APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName='Service 1B') AND (APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentStatus='Down'))

)

Any suggestions, please advice.

Thanks

• Re: Advanced Alerting - Auto correlation
          Vinay BY

We can do it through Grouping feature in Solarwinds - we can move these monitor's under a single group and create an alert on status of the group (Manage Groups -> Create a new group in Solarwinds move these monitors under it, tick best status, then create an alert based on Group status in Advanced Alerts) - but that isn't a great solution. I am looking for something within Custom SQL Alert: APM:Component. Nested SQL Query which can achieve this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              njoylif

I don't believe you'll be able to do it through this mechanism.

Reason being: the select statement is hard coded.

In order for this to work, you have to compare one row of the table to another, and the only way I know to do this is via comparing one instance of the table to another; iterating one row of instance 1 against all rows of instance 2 until done, then moving to the next row of instance 1 and comparing to all rows of instance 2, ... (skipping of course the "same" row in each instance)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              RichardLetts

something like this:

WHERE  ( apm_alertsandreportsdata.componentname = 'Service 1A'

AND apm_alertsandreportsdata.componentstatus = 'Down' )

AND EXISTS (SELECT 1

FROM   apm_alertsandreportsdata apm2

WHERE  ( apm2.componentname = 'Service 1B'

AND apm2.componentstatus = 'Down' ))

should generate an alert on 1A being down only if 1B is also down

I'll leave the reset condition generation as a homework exercise.