This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert / Event from Syslog or Trap

Hello thwack community,

Having read what I could find about the subject, I am in despair to find a way to produce visible, interpreted content in the Alert or NetPerfMon Event log in response to an SNMP Trap or Syslog entry.

The actions afforded in the Trap/Syslog Rule Alert Actions are divorced from the actions available in the Advanced Alert manager.  I am unable to set an alert in the way I can from a polled element.  I would like this capacity.

The options seem to be:

1) Create a rapid Universal Poller for the values that the traps are reporting on

This does nothing for Syslog

2) Launch an external program / script that can insert Alerts and / or Event entries

Option 1 is pretty silly, generating a lot of traffic and introducing delay in response.

Option 2 seems to be the way to do it, but the Orion SDK documentation does not make it clear what is an is not accessible through a CRUD/SWIS operation.  Here are some potential strategies:

2a) Do a managed (via some SWIS API call) triggering of an alert.

2b) Do a direct (via SWQL) insertion of an Alert or Event.  Has this been done?  Is it possible?

2c) Set a custom property on a node indicating the current error

This would require a universal poller for the Advanced Alert Manager to pick up... with a high polling rate. =\

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.: Does anyone else find it a little ridiculous that SNMP traps and Syslog entries are not able to trigger alerts out of the box?

• I've posted on this topic extensively, and there are several ideas out there for improving the alert engine. the Trap and syslog processors work in real-time on incoming messages, whereas the alert manager runs asynchronously based on what is in the database. You have to think hard about how this is going to work together (if it were easy SW would already have fixed it)

Right now I think the best solution is to use custom SQL alerts.

syslog:

in the syslog engine I match messages and set the messagetype; this allows me to flag similar syslog messages with the same message type. Unfortunately you can't export these or I'd include an example.

Match: *UPS: An inverter fault exists. 0x0165*,*UPS: In bypass in response to an internal hardware fault. 0x011B*

Modify the syslog, set the message type = 'UPS_ERROR_INTERNAL',

the advanced alert rule then becomes a custom SQL alert on a node with the following condition

where nodeid in (

SELECT nodeid

FROM   syslog

WHERE  messagetype ='UPS_ERROR_INTERNAL'

AND datetime > Dateadd(day, -1, Getdate())

)

and the reset condition is:

where nodeid NOT in (

SELECT nodeid

FROM   syslog

WHERE  messagetype ='UPS_ERROR_INTERNAL'

AND datetime > Dateadd(day, -1, Getdate())

)

For traps I do a similar thing:

match trap conditions, set a TAG in the trap rule, and then use a custom SQL alert like the following:

WHERE  nodeid IN (SELECT nodeid

FROM   traps

WHERE  datetime>Dateadd(hour,-1, Sysdatetime())

and tag='OSPF_IF_CONFIG_ERROR'

)

/RjL

• Yes, I've read your posts in regards to this matter, and you're advocating option 2c here.

It's not ideal.  There is data within the trap that I would need to pass to the alert, and it doesn't seem like the Tag action has the ability to extract information from the trap.

Do you have any experience using the "SDK"?

• no, I'm not advocating option 2c -- I'm advocating the option you don't list. The syslog and trap receivers process the values as they come in. You don't need a universal device poller at all, you can sumply do a custom SQL alert in the alert manager.

You can tag the trap with anything that it has extracted from the trap, e.g. ${vbData5} for the 5th varbind in the trap.

I use the SDK extensively; I don't see that it will help you here.

Why not try my suggestion and share where you get stuck.

/RjL

• oh, if you need specific things from a trap then you can do something like this in the alert advanced alert actions

write a message to the event log with the following text :

PBX alert on node: ${Caption} ${SQL:SELECT top 1 tv1.oidvalue +' - '+ tv2.oidvalue + ' - ' + tv3.oidvalue + ' - ' + Substring(t1.tag, 1, 20) FROM traps T1 left outer join traps t2 on t1.nodeid=t2.nodeid and t2.colorcode=65280 and Substring(t1.tag, 1, 20)=Substring(t2.tag, 1, 20) inner join trapvarbinds tv1 on t1.trapid=tv1.trapid and tv1.oidName='g3alarmsAlarmType' inner join trapvarbinds tv2 on t1.trapid=tv2.trapid and tv2.oidName='g3alarmsMaintName' inner join trapvarbinds tv3 on t1.trapid=tv3.trapid and tv3.oidName='g3alarmsPort' WHERE t1.nodeid = ${NodeID} and t1.Colorcode= 65535 AND t1.datetime >= Dateadd(hour, -4, Getdate()) and t2.trapid is null  }

(which extracts the last non-cleared Avaya PBX alert type from the trapvarbinds that happened in the last hour)

I tag traps with the alert number from the trap varbinds, and color them for the trigger and clear message. the alert manager then matches the alert-set and alert-clear traps and shows the current open alerts on the PBXes)

I agree this is less than optimal, but it does work, is out of the box functionality, and works across upgrades (at least from 10.x through to 10.5)

• I wish I had though of this myself, flagging the traps/logs and then using a custom SQL query alert is a fantastic way of using the advanced alert engine to detect these types of failures.

• I see, it doesn't require a poller to do SQL alerts.  The variable extraction is exactly what I need, thanks!

Edit:

Although this is the correct answer, it is more complex (and likely resource intensive) than simply using a fast universal poller on the relevant SNMP properties.

• Thanks RichardLetts for providing the reset conditions for your Syslog example.emoticons_happy.png

I had been stuggling on coding a reset condition for a number of days.  When you set up a 'Custom SQL Alert' the 'standard' SolarWinds reset query condition (when 'Reset when trigger conditions are no longer true' is selected) does not work as desired because both WHERE clauses are changed to WHERE NOT clauses.

• Hi everybody,

I realized your alert but how can I receive an alert each time I received a specific trap without reset the previous alert ?

I test with :

No reset condition – Trigger this alert each time the trigger condition is met  ==> it reset the older so helpdesk doesn't see the previous alert

No reset action - Manually remove the alert from the active alerts list ==> it makes nothing.

I would like an alert for each syslog receive for a node.

Thanks for your help emoticons_happy.png