4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 7:00 AM by flavio.correia

Solarwinds Custom Charts - 14 days option - Compare 2 date ranges in same chart

ianrivers

Hi, not sure if this can be done but if i don't ask i don't find out.

I know within custom charts you already have a number of options to choose from in Adjust Time Period for Chart, last 7 days & last 30 days for example, but i require more.

A member of our Exec team has requested custom charts for some our application monitors to show the last 14 days of data. I know i can do this as a one off using the custom date range, but i really need it in the list of options.

Also it was requested for a chart to show to separate weeks of data (for same application component) on one chart. I know you can have a chart showing multiple data objects for the same timeframe, but this will not help me out.

Basically on the chart, data1 will show data for last 7 days and data2 will show data for days 8 to 14. This is so a comparison can be done between the 2 weeks data.

As mentioned not sure if this is possible, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Solarwinds Custom Charts - 14 days option - Compare 2 date ranges in same chart
          siggy

I am actually more interested in the built-in charts, for example the Memory/Page Life Expectancy chart in DPA - The 'Day' option just shows me today and the week option just shows me the current week but in neither case can I compare it with the previous period. I was initially thinking of requesting that it show 8 days instead of a week, but reading ianrivers comment, I realized that the best option would simply show this week and the previous week on the same chart but in different colors.

• Re: Solarwinds Custom Charts - 14 days option - Compare 2 date ranges in same chart
              flavio.correia

I came across with the same question and I haven't found any information about it.
              For me it would act as a baseline (which as far as I understood NPM has it, but it just calculates new thresholds to configure alerts). I needed a graph showing the real information (e.g: Today) and another line (As a trend line) showing up the collected data based on yesterday's data and so on (Sunday with last sunday's, etc).
              I intend to do that to analyse if my current chart is doing good according to daily traffic.

Thanks.

mesverrum

No display of this type currently exists in the normal UI. This is definitely doable with custom sql/swql as the datasource of a custom chart, but it would take some manipulating of the data.  Build the query how you want it for this week, join the same type of query with the time range showing to the previous week's data, modify the timestamps on these old values forward a week, indicate on the labels which line is current data and which is "old"

You would also have to make sure your retention settings are set up to accommodate this, since the default behavior for most metrics is to summarize stats to hourly averages after a week.

1 of 1 people found this helpful