7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 4:54 PM by sans

Alert variable from UnDP result.

sbeauchamp

I have created a UnDP with an OID that pulls the reason for last reload from a cisco router. I can not seem to figure out a variable to use in an advanced alert to pull this data and display it. Can anyone help?

• Re: Alert variable from UnDP result.
          rob.hock

Surely. You're probably looking for ${CustomPollerStatus.RawStatus} macro.

ouberlord

It's fairly simple to set up an alert based off of the results of a UnDP once you wrap your mind around it.  In this use case, I made a UnDP to check the battery status of some of our APC UPS units.  I named this UnDP "upsAdvBatteryReplaceIndicator", and it returns a single result.  The trigger condition looks like this:

Type of Property to Monitor: Custom Node Poller

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply

Poller Name is equal to upsAdvBatteryReplaceIndicator

Value is not equal to noBatteryNeedsReplacing

The keys to the logic are to make sure that the type is set to Custom Node Poller, and that in the logic you specify "Poller name is equal to PollerName".  This frames the logic around that particular UnDP, and you can base the rest of the alert logic from there.  In my case, I just want to check and alert on if the returned value is not noBatteryNeedsReplacing.

Does that help?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                sbeauchamp

That does help. I can get the value returned properly. I am trying to alert on Node Status - Last boot has changed, but I would like to get the value of my custom poller (which pulls the reason for reload) to show up in my alerts. I can't seem to get it to trigger properly in a live situation. Doesn't look like a simple condition using Node Status > Last Boot has changed will trigger under the Custom Node Poller type.

ouberlord

Ah, I misunderstood before, I get what you are trying to do now.  For the Cisco device the "Last Boot" field does change when the device is bounced, right?  Just to test, if you have a alert with a type of Node and the only criteria is Last Boot has changed, does that alert trigger?  Even though the property is "Custom Node Poller" the basic "Network Nodes" types of criteria (such as Last Boot) should still work in the alert logic.

sbeauchamp

Yeah, when the type is set to node it works just fine. Seems it just stops working when i set it to Customer Poller. We are using Orion version 2012.2.1.

I can do a test alert with the type set to custom poller, but a real test (i just get into a test router and reload it) does not work.

sans

I am trying to exactly what you did here. I couldn't figure out the status part. I didn't think about using value. Thanks!