5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 1:33 PM by jpl3

alert closing

jpl3

Do all alerts have to be closed in the UI?

I notice in some alerts a note is added to the alert -  'Orion: alert is no longer active', when a reset condition occurs on the Orion source (eg. Node Up following a Node Down event). Is there a way to have alerts automatically closed is this (and similar) cases?

• Re: alert closing
          mharvey

I've been unable to find any setting in Alert Central that will do that.  Would be a nice feature though.

stepan.husak

Hi.

Actually AlertCentral and Orion have different logics for Closing and Acknowledging alerts.

For Orion to close alert it's enough that trigger conditions become no longer valid, but from AlertCentral perspective some user action must occur to decide alert status.

Other important thing to notice is that AC don't close alert, but it also will not open new alert when Orion alert becomes re-activated (note 'alert was re-activated' will be added to AC previous alert if it's not closed already).

Regards,

Stepan

jpl3

Can you tell me in what cases the 'Orion: alert is no longer active' note is added to an alert?

stepan.husak

I certainly can't tell you all cases (because some kind of alerts have specific behaviour that related to their nature).

But as example would be rule when you monitor some resource ResponseTime.

And you set your TriggerCondition in AlertManagerToll to 'ResponseTime is greater than 170ms'.

Then in 'ResetCondition'-tab you specify 'ResponseTime is less or equal to 170ms'.

So now every time when ping will be like 165, 178, 150, 200,... you'll get messages

"alert is no longer active", "alert was re-activated", "alert is no longer active", "alert was re-activated"... in AlertCentral respectively.

alertManager.PNG

jpl3

Thanks Stepan, that's what I was looking for -- that  all the reset conditions from the Orion  sources generate these AC alert 'notes'. I stumbled across the 'Alert Sharing' tab in the Orion NPM  (10.6) Advanced Alert Manager application. I haven't done much with it yet, but I'm sure it will be very useful in cases where I need to get variables from the Orion source to AC for action rules. Something that you might want to add to the docs.