This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Better file / attachment management?

Currently if you want to attach file to the ticket, you can:

1. Do it as a Tech in Ticket Details area. Similarly as a client you can attache file to ticket in Client UI in the ticket history.
  2. Send note with attachment(s) as a Tech or send email as a Client with attachment(s).

There are number of limitations:

• Attachments are filling up the database if you have many of them.
  • It is not easy to share file with 3rd party or ask 3rd party to share file with you in relation to the given ticket. (e.g. vendor provide documentation or schematics).
  • To work with attachment you can do it only from Web UI and individually, there is no easy way to access all attachments at once, download them all at once, do a bulk upload of multiple files.
  • One has to search through all the notes just to find the attachment from email.
  • You can't send attachment using Action Rule.
  • There is no Attachments API, so bulk imports are not possible.
  • You can't attach file to some other objects like Parts (you can to Assets or POs).

What improvements are most important to you?

Are there other maybe more important limitations, which are not on the list?

Added multiple download use-case: Peter Krutý

• Going to have to agree with everything you have said above. Our old helpdesk software (helpdesk authority) stored the attachments on the server in a folder. This was about the only thing about that software that was really smooth.

• As far as the management you are talking about for us it does not seem to be an issue for us yet. Although we get very few attachments maybe 20 in a year. I have no clue how they are stored/referenced in the DB.

As for the limit you are not actually limited to 1 megabyte if you go to Setup --> Options --> Max Attachment size and you can set it to whatever size in MEG. I have no clue why the default is a measly 1 meg, but it is. I only figured this out because I had a large screenshot I wanted to upload and it was blocked. We currently have the limit set to 10 meg.

I had opened a support ticket a long time ago to send an attachment via action rule and/or Approval process but not sure if it gained any traction. Should probably open it as a feature request.

• Hi Jake,

what software was that? Can you also elaborate a bit how did you use, that feature of files in a folder? Would you like to have something like that in WHD?

Thanks!

• Hi Tom,

you are of course right, you can increate the limit, thanks for highlighting that. So most important from those I mentioned would be to send attachment via action rule and/or approval process?

Thanks!

Peter

• **Sorry to hijack this thread it wasnt my intention***

It is Helpdesk authority by Quest Software/Scriptlogic/Dell emoticons_happy.png

Our SQL guy said that "it has a secondary table that stores the path to the file, realated to the issue number in the issues table."

The issue we are having is we can not import attachments from our old helpdesk to the new one. So some sort of import feature would be great!

Plus  it wont take up as much room on your sql server

• Peter,

That is correct. In our environment the biggest deal of the ones you noted is the ability to upload a document once then have it get emailed to users or have the user get a link to download the file. Good for forms.

Also knowing how/where the forms are stored would not be a bad thing. For larger organizations maybe they would want the files in a different location or a different partition than the one the DB is on.