This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM Polling Engine

Hello All...

Looking for some help/guidance from experienced out there in Solarwinds. I am just starting to layout how our solarwind env would look like. dont have too many devices but whatever we have are a good number plus widely distributes globally. I plan to have on BM server having NPM, SAM WPM and web console on it. We may have some poll response issues from other regions so wanted to put another polling engine there even though the main poller can handle all the polling load. What are your thoughts on this ?

Additionally, if I have another polling engine can that also behave like a redundant poller i.e. so lets say if my 2nd polling engine goes down can it transfer all its polling to main poller and vice versa or more like high availability. I know there is FOE server concept which can do this but cna this be achived with extra polling engine ?

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

• I really don't think it will work like that.  The polling engines have the specific nodes that they poll. If one goes down, the other does not take over.  If you need redundancy, the failover engine is needed.  The failover engine takes over all of the down server's tasks.  You will need a failover engine for each poller.  If you have multiple primary products (NPM, NCM, or APM)  on your server, you will need a license for each primary product, per server.  It kinda sucks that you can't have the pollers do the failover too.