5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 8:35 PM by shuth

Newbie Question

philcunliffe

Hi,

I'm new to Orion NPM and I'm trying to create a report to only display a certain type of switch and with memory above a certain amount. I've looked on the report designer but I cant see where I would filter based on machine type then on memory usage.. ie 2950 switches with memory usage above 60%

Sorry if this seems a bit basic but as I said I'm a newbie with this product.

Kind regards,

Phil

• Re: Newbie Question
          Pavol.Sojcik

Hi Phil,

In your case you would have to use Custom Table resource for this report.First when creating a new report, click on Add content button, then choose Custom table. Then there is a page "Select objects you are going to report on..." where you need to select Advanced Selector. This will let you specify for example two conditions like this:

- MachineType       contains      2950

- Average Percent Memory Used      is greater than      60

Hopefully this is what you wanted

Regards,

Pavol

philcunliffe

Hi Pavol,

Thanks very much for the info. I’m on the web page of Network Performance Monitor. I’ve clicked on the “reports” title at the top and it gives a list of, from what I can see, reports that are already configured on the system. I can’t add a report here…all I can do is view the results. Where do I create the report? Do I have to go to the actual box and configure it on there first?

Sorry to be a pain,

Phil

Pavol.Sojcik

Hi Phil,

You need to go to Settings page and there is a link to "Manage reports", where you can add your customized report. It is also possible to get there from the reports page you are reffering to, in the right upper corner there is a button Manage reports which will take you to the same page

Regards,

Pavol

philcunliffe

Hi Pavol,

I’ve found out how to do it with you help!! I get no settings or Manage Reports buttons on my home page so I think it needs to be looked at after the report generation. I went directly on to the box and created a new report with filters for 2950 and memory of 50 or greater.

Brilliant pointer in the right direction Pavol!!

PhilJ

shuth

If you're running NPM 10.5 you won't be able to create the reports on the web interface. This capability was added in NPM 10.6.

You also have to be careful with the filters in the Report Writer on the server. For example, if you say to include records where Average Percent Memory Used >= 60 it will exclude all the records where the device was < 60% utilisation.

E.g. Device A memory statistics polling every 10 minutes, the database will have something like the following:

10:00 AM     30%

10:10 AM     36%

10:20 AM     45%

10:30 AM     64%

10:40 AM     75%

10:50 AM     62%

11:00 AM     55%

The average for this time frame is 52.4%.  With a filter to include records above 60%, the system will only use the records: 64%, 75%, 62% and give you an average utilisation of 67%.