1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 3:44 PM by Lawrence Garvin

View for Specific (MSRC / KB) Updates

juliuspiv

I'm in search of a product that will allow me to create views that pull in specific updates.  I couldn't figure out how to do this in WSUS, so I'm taking Patch Manager for a spin.

Its easy to see how powerful and useful of a tool this is but I'm not seeing how this can be done.

For example, I'd like to create a view that will only show me specific updates (eg.: 2760411, 2760588, 2760583, 2836943 ... 890830 etc.), so I can quickly approve/deny the updates or run reports just for those updates.

Is this possible?

• Re: View for Specific (MSRC / KB) Updates
          Lawrence Garvin

Greetings Julius.

You cannot directly create a Custom Update View based on explicit KB article numbers, but there are a couple of ways you can achieve that objective.

If the desired updates are of the same update classification(s) or product category(s), you can create a view on those broader scopes, then use the COLUMN FILTER on the KB Article column to select only the KB articles of interest. Having done that, click on the "Save View Layout" option in the Action Pane, and the column layout and filter selections will be stored, and retrieved the next time you access the view.

Another way to approach this is by using WSUS Target Groups in a creative manner. Create a WSUS Target Group, but don't actually populate it with any computers. You can "approve" the selected updates for that WSUS Target Group, and then build a Custom Update View based on "Updates are approved for a specfic group".

Note also that  you can build Custom Update Views based on the synchronization date(s) as well as the release date(s), so in the case of the above updates, most of which seem to be from this month, you could simply build the Custom Update View to display the updates released in the past month.

Finally, you can also get this filtered update list using reporting. After configuring and executing the WSUS Inventory Task (See this new blog article for details.), select a report to use as the base report, and then add a filter condition, which can be based upon a list of KB numbers. Save and Run the report.