43 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 10:29 AM by oleg.zastavnyi

Exchange EWS Error

thomsonac

Hi all,

I didn't have much luck searching for the error but hopefully someone might be able to help us out.  We're very much interested in Alert Central but we cannot link the service account mailbox with EWS

I've tried all variations of domain\username, username@domain.com, etc with no luck; I get the same error every time:

DEBUG: setDebug: JavaMail version 1.4.5

DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[STORE,ews,com.solarwinds.mail.ews.EWSStore,SolarWinds,1.0]

could not auto-discover URL (null)

trying URL from host: https://mail.domain/ews/exchange.asmx

problem with URL: https://mail.domain/ews/exchange.asmx

However I can use the URL and load the EWS XML data without any trouble.  Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Re: Exchange EWS Error
          INECTR

Having the same issue as well. 

ttl

Same issue here too.   I'm looking at this for a solution for management and I can't even get past the first post-installation step.

rtriebwasser

Any chance there are firewall rules blocking port 443 from your Alert Central VM to the exchange server?

thomsonac

They are on the same subnet so there is not any firewall in between the servers.

Autodiscovery based purely on the email address could be a problem (we have a similar issue with Lync 2010).  We are split between 2 Exchange forests and share a primary domain name.  Any simple lookup based on @domain.com will fail in our environment (we are not the authoritative domain).  Fortunately Outlook has a lot of logic built into their autodiscovery which works without issue.

I wouldn't think that is the issue however as the error log specifically states that it is trying our URL and having a problem.

rtriebwasser

Perhaps alert central cannot resolve the hostname?  What if you try to use an IP address in the URL?

nazar_hryt

Try to use username without domain, it works for me.

Let us know the result.

Thanks, Nazar.

EchoDelta

Guys,

I tried EWS... and it is making me crazy, hoping your eyes will see what I am missing...

using OWA worked great

using http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ (a Microsoft service) is testing successfully

so I dumbed down the password (as suggested) and no change

I can't remove the realm precursor, I am in a multi-domain environment

------

16:56:36.042 [EmailPoller-1]  WARN com.solarwinds.mail.ews.EWSStore - could not auto-discover URL: null

16:56:36.398 [EmailPoller-1] ERROR c.s.oncall.email.EmailPollerImpl - Email Poller Failure

javax.mail.MessagingException: URL is https://[removed my domain name]/ews/exchange.asmx

at com.solarwinds.mail.ews.EWSStore.protocolConnect(EWSStore.java:98) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:295) ~[mail-1.4.5.jar:1.4.5]

at com.solarwinds.oncall.email.EmailPollerImpl.getNewStoreAndConnect(EmailPollerImpl.java:759) ~[oncall-email-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]

at com.solarwinds.oncall.email.EmailPollerImpl.access$500(EmailPollerImpl.java:74) ~[oncall-email-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]

at com.solarwinds.oncall.email.EmailPollerImpl$FetchEmail.run(EmailPollerImpl.java:280) ~[oncall-email-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471) [na:1.7.0_04]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(FutureTask.java:351) [na:1.7.0_04]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:178) [na:1.7.0_04]

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178) [na:1.7.0_04]

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) [na:1.7.0_04]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110) [na:1.7.0_04]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603) [na:1.7.0_04]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722) [na:1.7.0_04]

Caused by: microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.EWSHttpException: Connection not established

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.HttpClientWebRequest.throwIfConnIsNull(HttpClientWebRequest.java:394) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.HttpClientWebRequest.getResponseHeaders(HttpClientWebRequest.java:280) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.ExchangeServiceBase.processHttpResponseHeaders(ExchangeServiceBase.java:1045) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.SimpleServiceRequestBase.internalExecute(SimpleServiceRequestBase.java:58) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.MultiResponseServiceRequest.execute(MultiResponseServiceRequest.java:142) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.ExchangeService.bindToFolder(ExchangeService.java:349) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.ExchangeService.bindToFolder(ExchangeService.java:374) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.Folder.bind(Folder.java:50) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.Folder.bind(Folder.java:69) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

at com.solarwinds.mail.ews.EWSStore.protocolConnect(EWSStore.java:88) ~[ews-provider-1.0.jar:na]

... 12 common frames omitted

16:56:41.410 [EmailPoller-1]  WARN com.solarwinds.mail.ews.EWSStore - could not auto-discover URL: null

16:56:46.774 [EmailPoller-1]  WARN com.solarwinds.mail.ews.EWSStore - could not auto-discover URL: null

norcalcool

Hi,

I too am getting this error.  I've tried simplifying the password, removing the domain name from the username and still no go as well.  I'm trying to find out what version of Exchange we are running.  I've attached the requested log file for Alert Central.

EchoDelta

Ahhhh, welcome to CES

our email address vs. domain\samaccountname issue is java library programmatic, I bet your email domain is different than your login domain, right?

If you want the inside scoop, direct message me and we can talk about getting yours working too.

humejo

Edit-- I was actually able to figure out a different way of getting the account working.  While POP3 and IMAP services were turned off on our Hub Transport Servers, they were turned on and setup on our Client Access Server.  Once I put that info in I was able to authenticate via IMAP.  I'll leave my original question below for those that are having issues with EWS and need to get it working that way.

I think that is our issue here.  Can you let us in on the fix publicly instead of via private message?

Our email address domain and account domain name are different.  Since I've tried every combination of every single thing I can think of and have tried making a more simplistic password, I can only assume your suggestion may be what is going on.  I've verified connectivity from the Alert Central itself and I've also verified the account is fine.  After one million attempts during the setup, the Alert Central account I made is not locked out, so it isn't even getting to the user account authentication process, therefore your suggestion has got to be it, right?

Anyways, thanks for any help you can provide.

EchoDelta

The private message was about specific information related to his hosted domain (CES), I never like airing laundry.

The java library that AC uses to implement EWS has multiple methods to authenticate, I am hoping the dev team can tweak an implementation to be more domain/realm flexible, I figure it will be a topic of the next AC open call.

have you tested your EWS with http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ (a Microsoft service)?

That will tell you if it is the java library or your exchange.

rtriebwasser

EWS is a web service, and so the authentication options are controlled by your IIS server, however it looks like there is a bug in the Microsoft Java EWS API library that Alert Central uses that messes up the flags for NTLM authentication.  I will enter a bug for this so that we can investigate it further and hopefully get it fixed.

In the mean time, if you enable basic authentication for the EWS web service on IIS, you should be able to connect without a problem.

mkcheah88

I have the same issue to setup the email (EWS). Are there any bug fixes for this issue?

kingcobra0128

HI Guys

I know the dev team is working on this but is there any word on the fix and is it coming anytime soon

Brandon

bcastonatpamlab

I am experiencing the same issue. 

SolarWinds Alert Central version 1.1.5.688

I can login with AD credentials directly to https://<exchangeserver>/ews/exchange.asmx, but Alert Central won't have any of it.

Is it something to do with the SSL certificate? We just resigned and recerted a few weeks, and had to manually import the new cert into our WebHelpDesk installation.  Perhaps the same method is being used for Alert Central?