This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unable to remove license

Experiencing an issue where we don't have an internet connection to this machine so we can't just use the deactivate link to do this. Is there a way to do this offline? We have a different license key in this and we are going to put in the new one so we will still have maintenance but the demo key needs to be removed.

• Hi dkeyser,

If you can't deactivate, you can try to do an offline activation of the new key on your existing 5.3.3 (or earlier) installation before upgrading to 5.6.2. That should work, if it doesn't please let me know.

• We have two licenses on this server. One we have updated the key and the other needs to be removed. This machine does not have Internet access. Is there a way to remove it?

• Hi dkeyser,

How do you have 2 STM licenses on the same STM server? This should not be possible unless you mean that one of them a Backup Profiler (BU) license? If that's what you mean, the BU license should not need to be modified.

Did you try to apply the new key on top of the old key via offline activation? What was the outcome? If you're previous statement about 2 keys is that it worked and so now you have "2 keys on 1 machine," the new key should have just replaced the old one. It's not clear from your statement however, so please elaborate if I'm missing something. 

• You were correct Just check the license manager and it is a Backup Profiler (BU) license. What is this for and can I remove it? Also we have the trial license still showing at the bottom as well. Can this be removed? Just want to clean things up as no one likes to see 'Your maintenance has expired'.

• Hi dkeyser,

Backup Profiler (BU) is another product that monitors your backup infrastructure. The bits for BU ship with STM and Storage Profiler, but the license keys dictate whether or not the functionality is enabled. BU is now EOL, but you do own a perpetual license of the software, so it's really up to you whether or not your team wants to use the product anymore.

I'm not sure why you are seeing a trial license message right now. My guess is that will go away when you upgrade and may be related to the fact that the new key, while accepted, has put your STM into trial until the proper version is detected - which will be the case after upgrade. Another possibility is that you may have installed a trial version of one of our other Java-based products on the same machine? All of our Java-based products (FSM, STM, BU, VMAN, LEM) share the same licensing framework and we will pick up commercial and evaluation licenses applied on those machines, even if it doesn't "belong" to the product you are viewing the license manager in.

Needless to say, this would all be much easier to diagnose with screenshots emoticons_happy.png

• I completely agree. I'll get those up to you tomorrow morning so you can see what I'm trying, and failing, to describe. Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated.

• Here is a screenshot of our licensing situation:

pastedImage_0.png

The bottom license is a trial of the BU and the top is for ComVault. Interesting related note is that we have just experienced a license issue where we are not able to add more disks to the profiler. Have a 10,000 disk license and only using 8119. Maybe it's related to the licenses here? We just installed the new license a few days ago.

• Hi dkeyser,

OK - let's go ahead and get you upgraded to 5.6.2. Try applying your new v5.6 STM key and then running the STM upgrade. This will still leave you with your 2 BU licenses. If you want those removed, given your in a locked down environment, the only option is to work with Support who can help you remove those licenses from you system.

• Unfortunately our environment is prohibitive to upgrading at this time. We must stay on 5.3.3 for the time being.

• Were you able to get the right key in place?